Each Monday, the Blackhawks Blog will highlight prospects who stood out for their minor-league, junior, college, or European teams in the previous week’s action. All prospect stats will be updated weekly throughout the 2014-15 season.
|(Photo courtesy Rockford IceHogs) |
1st Star: RW Ryan Hartman, Rockford IceHogs (AHL)
The Line: 1GP, 2G
Hartman netted both goals in Rockford’s regular-season home opener, a 3-2 loss to Milwaukee on Oct. 11; he was named Second Star of the Game for his efforts. Hartman, the Blackhawks’ first-round pick in 2013, is entering his first full season in the American Hockey League after posting seven points (3G, 4A) in nine games with the IceHogs at the end of the 2013-14 campaign.
|(Photo courtesy University of Vermont Athletics) |
2nd Star: D Michael Paliotta, University of Vermont (H-EAST)
The Line: 1GP, 1G, 3A, +3 plus/minus
Paliotta’s career-high four points (1G, 3A) keyed the Catamounts in their season-opening 6-2 victory over Northeastern on Oct. 11. Paliotta, who was named team captain in his senior campaign, opened the scoring for Vermont before adding helpers on the next two tallies. Chicago’s third-round pick in 2011 set career highs in all offensive categories last season, including goals (5), assists (22) and points.
|(Brandon Anderson/Muskegon Lumberjacks) |
3rd Star: RW Matt Iacopelli, Muskegon Lumberjackets (USHL)
The Line: 2GP, 3G
Iacopelli tallied three goals in Muskegon’s home-and-home series against Lincoln over the weekend. Chicago’s 2014 third-round selection scored the game-winner in a 3-2 win on Friday and added a pair the next night in a 4-3 loss, including his second power-play strike of the season. Iacopelli’s six goals lead the Lumberjacks, and he shares first in points.
Honorable mentions: G Anders Nilsson, AK Bars Kazan (KHL); C Anthony Louis, Miami of Ohio (NCHC)
Nilsson, a Swedish netminder acquired from the New York Islanders in the Nick Leddy trade earlier this month, made 19 saves in a 3-0 win for AK Bars Kazan in the KHL to log his sixth win and first shutout of the season. The result improved Nilsson’s goals-against average to 1.75 and his save percentage to .936 after 10 games this season.
Louis notched an assist in each of Miami’s two games against Bowling Green last weekend and added three shots on goal in the team’s 3-2 win on Sunday. Louis, a sixth-round draft selection in 2013, ranked fifth on Miami last season with 25 points (12G, 13A) as a freshman.
Around the system:
- A pair of Swedish defensemen picked up points for their teams in the domestic league. Robin Norell, a fourth-round pick in 2013, collected an assist for Djurgardens in a 4-3 win over MODO on Oct. 9; he now has two points (2A) in 10 games this season… Blueliner Robin Press posted a pair of assists for Sodertalje in two Allsvenskan games last weekend. The 2013 seventh-round pick leads the team with 16 points (5G, 11A) in 12 games this season.
- Right wing Jack Ramsey contributed a pair of assists for the BCHL’s Penticton Vees, who went 3-0 last week. Chicago’s seventh-round pick in 2014 has four points (1G, 3A) in nine games this season.
- College hockey got underway over the weekend, with 11 Blackhawks prospects in action. Boston College winger Chris Calnan tallied his first goal of the season in a 5-2 loss at UMass-Lowell on Friday… Notre Dame forward Vinnie Hinostroza notched his first point of his sophomore campaign in 3-2 loss to RPI on Friday… Ohio State defenseman Sam Jardine posted a pair of helpers in a 5-4 overtime win over Providence on Oct. 10; teammate and fellow Blackhawks prospect Matt Tomkins made 27 saves on 29 shots in the Buckeyes’ 2-1 overtime loss to Providence the next night… Freshman defenseman Luc Snuggerud tallied a goal and added an assist for the University of Nebraska-Omaha in his collegiate regular-season debut, a 5-3 win over Minnesota State, on Friday.
- No college team has more Blackhawks prospects on its roster this season than the University of North Dakota, which boasts three, including 2014 first-rounder Nick Schmaltz, who opened his collegiate goal ledger by scoring UND’s only goal in a 5-1 loss to Bemidji State on Friday. Sophomore forward Luke Johnson didn’t record a point in two outings, but totaled a team-best 10 shots on goal… Senior blueliner Nick Mattson logged two blocked shots in two games over the weekend.
- Rockford opened their 2014-15 slate with a 3-2 loss at Milwaukee, with four players collecting their first assists of the season in the tilt: Zach Mikovic, Matt Carey, Phillip Danault and Teuvo Teravainen. Carey led the team with four shots on goal. The IceHogs will play three games this week, all on the road.