Each Monday, the Blackhawks Blog will highlight prospects who stood out for their minor-league, junior, college, or European teams in the previous week’s action. All prospect stats will be updated weekly throughout the 2015-16 season.
1st Star: RW Roy Radke, Barrie Colts (Ontario Hockey League)
The Line: 3GP, 4G, 1A, second hat trick of the season
Radke, the Blackhawks’ sixth-round pick this past summer, extended his point streak to four games by posting four goals and an assist in three outings with Barrie last week. The Chicago native opened the scoring in a 4-3 loss to Erie on Oct. 29, notched his second hat trick of the season in a 6-5 loss at Hamilton on Oct. 31, then picked up a helper in a 6-0 win at Mississauga on Nov. 1. Radke ranks second on the team with 10 goals and fifth with 15 points in 15 games this season.
|(Steve Musco/Yale Athletics) |
2nd Star: C John Hayden, Yale University (ECAC)
The Line: 2GP, 2G
Yale opened their 2015-16 season by winning the Capital City Classic, and 2013 third-round pick John Hayden made an impact by tallying in both contests. He notched the empty-netter in Friday’s opener against Princeton, then scored the eventual game-winner in the championship game against UMass on Saturday. Hayden finished last season with 18 points (7G, 11A) in 29 games with the Bulldogs.
|(Getty Images) |
3rd Star: D Dennis Gilbert, University of Notre Dame (H-EAST)
The Line: 2GP, 3A
Gilbert helped Notre Dame achieve a sweep of Connecticut last weekend with assists in each game. The freshman blueliner posted a helper on the opening power-play goal in Friday’s 2-1 win, then collected two more the next night in an 8-2 thumping, including one on the game-winner. Gilbert, Chicago’s third-round pick in 2015, now shares third among first-year NCAA defensemen with four assists in six games.
Honorable mentions: D Nolan Valleau, Rockford IceHogs (AHL); G Mark Visentin, Rockford IceHogs (AHL)
Valleau notched his first professional points over the weekend, notching an assist in each of Rockford’s wins over the Iowa Wild. The 22-year-old rookie recorded 19 points in 39 games with Bowling Green in 2014-15 before signing a two-year deal with Chicago.
Goaltender Mark Visentin made 38 saves for the IceHogs in a 2-0 win over the Wild on Sunday to record his first win in 18 months; the former first-round pick (Arizona, 2010) missed the entire 2014-15 season with an ankle injury. Visentin has made two appearances for Rockford in his comeback campaign, posting an .897 save percentage and 3.51 goals-against average.
Around the system:
- Defenseman Robin Press picked up his first point of the season (1A) in Djurgardens’ 2-1 loss to Linkoping on Oct. 29. The 2013 seventh-round pick has appeared in 15 games in his first SHL campaign... Joni Tuulola, Chicago’s sixth-round pick in 2015, notched his second helper of the season in HPK’s 3-1 win over KooKoo on Oct. 28... Ivan Nalimov went 2-1-0 for Admiral Vladivostok last week, stopping 83 of 93 shots over that span. The 21-year-old shares fifth among KHL netminders with 10 wins and ranks eighth with 557 total saves on 611 shots.
- Graham Knott picked up two helpers in three games with Niagara in the OHL last week and now has six points (2G, 4A) in 15 games this season... Defenseman Jake Massie, acquired from Carolina in the offseason, skated in his first two games for Omaha in the USHL last week after missing the start of the campaign with an injury.
- Junior forward Chris Calnan posted his fourth assist of the season for Boston College on Friday in a 4-3 win over Denver; the 2012 third-round pick now has five points in six games... Dylan Sikura tallied his first goal of the season in a 3-2 loss to the University of Vermont on Thursday and now has three points in seven games.
- Defenseman Luc Snuggerud posted an assist in two games for Nebraska–Omaha last weekend; the Mavericks were swept by Western Michigan... Matheson Iacopelli appeared in one of two games for the Broncos and was held without a point... The University of North Dakota swept a weekend road series against Colorado College, and Blackhawks prospects Nick Schmaltz (2014 first-round pick) and Luke Johnson (2012 sixth-round pick) each posted a helper... Matt Tomkins made 27 saves on 28 shots for Ohio State in a 5-1 win over Mercyhurst on Saturday, claiming his first win of the season.
- Mark McNeill notched a pair of assists to help Rockford extend their point streak to six games with a 2-0-0-1 record last week... Dennis Rasmussen scored his second goal of the season in Friday’s 4-0 win vs. Iowa, then assisted on the game-winner in a 2-0 victory over the Wild on Sunday... Dennis Robertson tallied his first goal with the club to open the scoring for the IceHogs in Friday’s win... Garret Ross opened the scoring with his first of the campaign and the game-winner on Sunday... Michael Leighton edged closer to an AHL goaltending record with a 20-save shutout on Friday; it was his 42nd AHL blanking, and the 34-year-old needs just three more to tie Johnny Bower for the league’s all-time benchmark. In two starts last week, Leighton stopped a combined 48 of 49 shots, improving his record to 5-2-1-1 with a .913 SV% and 2.44 GAA.