1st Star: G Antti Raanta, Rockford (AHL)
The Line: 3GS, 3-0-0-0
Raanta improved to 5-1-0-0 in his first American Hockey League campaign by winning all three of his starts last week. The Finland native made a combined 97 saves on 102 shots for a .951 save percentage, helping Rockford jump to first place in the Western Division. Raanta’s most impressive outing came on Sunday, when he saved 46 of 48 shots against the Texas Stars in a 4-2 win, including all 19 faced in the third period.
|(Photo by Kris Gray) |
2nd Star: C Mark McNeill, Rockford (AHL)
The Line: 4GP, 3G, 1A, +3 plus/minus
McNeill paced the IceHogs with two big outings last week. The 2011 first-round selection tallied twice and added an assist on Oct. 22 in a 5-4 overtime loss at Hamilton, then recorded the game-winner on Sunday against Texas.
|(Photo by Mackenzie McCluer) |
3rd Star: C Alex Broadhurst, Rockford (AHL)
The Line: 4GP, 2G, 2A, +3
The younger Broadhurst continued his blistering start to his first pro season, logging an assist last Tuesday at Hamilton, his second goal of the season the next night at Toronto, and a two-point game (1G, 1A) on Sunday against Texas. The 2011 pick currently ranks second in team scoring with nine points (3G, 6A).
Honorable Mentions: D Dillon Fournier, Rouyn-Noranda (QMJHL); LW Garret Ross, Rockford (AHL)
Dillon Fournier continued to demonstrate his offensive talent for Rouyn-Noranda, logging five points (3G, 2A) and a +4 rating in the Huskies’ three wins last week. He tallied twice on Friday against Val d’Or at home, then recorded a goal and two assists in the return match on Sunday.
Garret Ross tallied his first points in the AHL last week, opening the scoring in Tuesday’s overtime loss before collecting a pair of helpers the next night in Toronto. He also added the game-deciding goal on Saturday in a 2-1 shootout win over Charlotte. Ross finished the week with a +4 rating.
Around the System:
- Teuvo Teravainen had a productive week, helping Jokerit extend their win streak to four games. The 2012 first-round pick contributed a goal and an assist on Oct. 22 in a 4-0 win against KalPa, then assisted on the game-winning goal on Oct. 25 in a 4-1 victory over against TPS.
- In the Western Hockey League, defenseman Travis Brown continues to lead Moose Jaw in scoring after recording three points (2G, 1A) in three games last week... Ryan Hartman, the Blackhawks’ first-round pick in 2013, picked up three points (1G, 2A) in three games for Plymouth in the Ontario Hockey League.
- Vincent Hinostroza extended his point streak to four games with an assist in each of Notre Dame’s tilts against Minnesota-Duluth over the weekend... Mike Paliotta of Vermont registered his first point of the season, an assist, on Saturday in a 5-2 win against Penn State... Tyler Motte scored his fourth goal of the season for Michigan in a tightly-fought 2-1 victory over Boston University on Friday.
- Two Blackhawks prospects had big weekends for Ohio State. Sophomore defenseman Sam Jardine recorded two helpers, including the primary assist on the eventual game-winner, in a 5-3 win over Robert Morris University on Saturday... Freshman Matt Tomkins was called into action just 3 minutes into Friday’s tilt against RMU and came away with his first collegiate win after making 25 saves on 26 shots; he picked up his second win the next night, stopping 18 of 21 shots.
- A bevy of IceHogs contributed to the team’s big week. Terry Broadhurst tallied three points (2G, 1A) in Tuesday and Wednesday’s games and now ranks fourth in team scoring with seven points (3G, 4A)... Jimmy Hayes scored the only regulation goal for Rockford against Charlotte on Saturday and added two assists in four games... Maxim Shalunov notched his first AHL point with an assist on Hayes’ goal on Saturday.
- Adam Clendening registered two assists and a +5 rating and continues to lead the IceHogs in scoring with 10 points (2G, 8A). His eight helpers are tied for first among league defensemen, and he ranks third in blueliner scoring... Klas Dahlbeck tallied his third goal of the season and his first career empty-net marker to seal the victory over Texas on Sunday.
- Toledo played just once last week, and goalie Mac Carruth made it count, stopping all 30 shots he faced in a 2-0 win over Wheeling on Oct. 26 for his first professional shutout.