1st Star: LW Jeremy Morin, Rockford (AHL)
The Line: 2GP, 2G, 2A
Morin paced the IceHogs with four points last weekend, tallying a goal and an assist in two consecutive games. Morin also tallied a shootout goal in Rockford’s 5-4 shootout victory over Grand Rapids on Saturday night. He ranks second on the team with seven points (3G, 4A) in his first six games—sharing 10th in the league—and paces the American Hockey League with 29 shots on goal.
|(Photo by Mackenzie McCluer) |
2nd Star: C Vincent Hinostroza, Notre Dame (H-EAST)
The Line: 2GP, 2G, 2A
The Blackhawks’ sixth-round pick in 2012 continued his blistering start for Notre Dame, putting up an assist in Friday’s 3-2 win over Michigan Tech and adding another two goals and a helper in Sunday’s 7-3 win, also over the Huskies. Hinostroza leads the 4-0 Fighting Irish with six points (3G, 3A) on the season.
|(Photo courtesy Rockford IceHogs) |
3rd Star: D Adam Clendening, Rockford (AHL)
The Line: 2GP, 4A
Clendening contributed a pair of helpers on Friday night as Rockford beat the Chicago Wolves 5-3, then collected two more the next night in the IceHogs’ home opener. The 2011 second-round draft pick ranks third among league defensemen with eight points in six games, and his six assists are tied for fourth overall.
Honorable Mention: RW Jimmy Hayes, Rockford (AHL); RW Kevin Hayes, Boston College (H-EAST)
The brothers Hayes put up big numbers for their respective clubs over the weekend, as Jimmy pitched in with two goals in two nights, plus an assist, for his first AHL points of the season.
Meanwhile, younger brother Kevin had a big outing for Boston College on Friday, tallying a goal and two assists in a 9-2 drubbing of Wisconsin. The senior forward ranks second on the Eagles squad with six points (2G, 4A) in three tilts.
Around the System:
- Teuvo Teravainen helped Jokerit break out of a three-game losing streak, posting three assists in a 4-2 win over Helsinki IFK on Friday.
- Defenseman Travis Brown collected three points (1G 2A) in four games for Moose Jaw last week and continues to pace the Warriors with 18 points (4G, 14A) in 14 games.... Dillon Fournier collected a goal and two assists over three games last week for Rouyn-Noranda, while his +15 plus/minus rating paces the Quebec Major-Junior Hockey League.
- Blueliner Stephen Johns picked up his first points of the season, notching a pair of assists for Notre Dame on Sunday against Michigan Tech.... Nick Mattson scored his first goal of the season on the power play for North Dakota in a 4-2 win over top-ranked Miami of Ohio on Friday, but missed Saturday’s follow-up with an injury.... 2013 third-round draft pick Tyler Motte tallied a goal in each of Michigan’s back-to-back games at New Hampshire and is now tied for the team lead with three goals in four games.
- Terry Broadhurst collected this first points for Rockford over the weekend, picking up a goal and three assists against Chicago and Grand Rapids.... Phillip Danault notched the game-tying goal for the IceHogs on Saturday against Grand Rapids, marking his first AHL tally.... Klas Dahlbeck exceeded his 2012-13 goal total when he recorded his second marker of the season—and the game-winner—on Friday at Chicago; he added an assist the next night and ended the weekend with a +4 rating.
- Mac Carruth opened his professional career with a 4-3 shootout win for the Toledo Walleye at Fort Wayne on Saturday. He made 32 saves on 35 shots in regulation and overtime, and stopped four of five shootout attempts.