1st Star: C Tyler Motte, Michigan (BIG10)
The Line: 1GP, 1G, 2A
Michigan defeated Niagara 6-0 in their only game of the weekend, and Motte played a big part in the victory, tallying the game-winning goal just 34 seconds into the game and later adding his first two helpers of the year. Motte now has seven points (5G, 2A) in 11 appearances, second among team freshmen.
|(Photo by Mackenzie McCluer) |
2nd Star: D Travis Brown, Moose Jaw (WHL)
The Line: 2GP, 1G, 2A
Brown collected points in both of his appearances last week. The 2012 fifth-round pick logged a goal and an assist on Friday in a 5-1 win over Prince Albert, then recorded an assist the next night in an overtime loss to Swift Current. Brown lead the Warriors and ranks second among WHL blueliners with 31 points (9G, 22A) in 29 games.
|(Photo by Mackenzie McCluer) |
3rd Star: D Michael Paliotta, Vermont (H-EAST)
The Line: 2GP, 3A
Paliotta helped the Catamounts to a weekend sweep over UMass, tallying three helpers in two tilts. Chicago’s 2011 pick assisted on Vermont’s first two goals in a come-from-behind 3-2 victory on Friday, then collected a power-play assist the next night in a 2-0 win.
Honorable Mentions: C Drew LeBlanc, Rockford (AHL); C Joakim Nordstrom, Rockford (AHL)
LeBlanc broke an eight-game pointless streak, registering a goal and two assists in three games last week. The 2013 Hobey Baker Award winner had a two-point night on Wednesday in a 4-2 loss to Abbotsford and recorded an assist on Saturday in Charlotte for his 10th point of the year (4G, 6A).
Nordstrom tallied both of Rockford’s goals in their 5-2 loss at Charlotte, marking the first career multi-goal game of his North American career; he now has four points (3G, 1A) in 12 games with the IceHogs this year.
Around the system:
- Teuvo Teravainen recorded an assist in each of Jokerit’s games last week... Dillon Fournier notched an assist in each of his last two outings and continues to lead Rouyn-Noranda defensemen and rank 10th among QMJHL blueliners with 19 points (7G, 12A) in 24 games... In the NCAA, Kevin Hayes recorded two assists on Wednesday as Boston College defeated Harvard 5-1, including one on the game-winning goal.
- The IceHogs went 1-2-0 last week, but received contributions from across the board. Alex Broadhurst registered assists in two consecutive games on Wednesday and Saturday; he currently ranks second on the team with 15 points (5G, 10A) in 21 games... Phillip Danault also picked up a couple of helpers last week, including the only assist on the game-winning goal at Charlotte on Sunday.
- Rockford’s blue line made a big impact offensively as well: Adam Clendening notched an assist on Wednesday before opening the scoring in Sunday’s win over Charlotte... Klas Dahlbeck netted his first AHL shorthanded goal for his second career game-winner on Sunday, marking his career-high sixth tally of the season... Viktor Svedberg scored his second goal of the season on Wednesday against Abbotsford.
- Acquired from Florida as part of the Kris Versteeg trade, Philippe Lefebvre made his Rockford debut last week and scored his first goal as an IceHog, a game-tying tally in a 4-3 victory at Charlotte on Saturday.
- Mac Carruth made his AHL debut with Rockford following Antti Raanta’s recall to Chicago, allowing five goals on 32 shots at Charlotte on Saturday... Kent Simpson started the other two games for Rockford, stopping 53 of 59 shots for a 1-1-0-0 record.