1st Star: C/RW Ryan Hartman, Plymouth (OHL)
The Line: 3GP, 2G, 1A
The Whalers clinched the eighth seed in the Ontario Hockey League’s Western Conference after winning two of three games last week. Hartman tallied in both wins and added an assist on March 9 against Saginaw. The 2013 first-round draft pick paces the team with 26 assists and shares the team lead with 51 points, despite playing just 50 games this season.
|(Photo courtesy University of Vermont Athletics) |
2nd Star: D Michael Paliotta, Vermont (H-EAST)
The Line: 1GP, 1G, +2 plus/minus
Paliotta’s breakout season continued last weekend as he opened the scoring with his fifth goal of the season in Vermont’s 2-1 victory over UMass in the first round of the Hockey East playoffs. The Catamounts will play a three-game quarterfinal set against UMass-Lowell this weekend. Paliotta, a 2011 third-round draft pick, ranks second on the team with 19 assists and third with 24 points this season.
|(Todd Reicher/Rockford IceHogs) |
3rd Star: C Pierre-Marc Bouchard, Rockford (AHL)
The Line: 3GP, 1G, 2A
Bouchard logged points in each of Rockford’s three games last week, collecting an assist in a 4-2 win over Rochester on Tuesday, another helper in an 8-3 loss at Milwaukee on Friday and his second goal as an IceHog in a 6-2 loss against the Admirals the next night. The 29-year-old has 14 points in 12 games since joining the IceHogs in early February.
Honorable mentions: D Stephen Johns (Notre Dame); C Luke Johnson (North Dakota)
Johns posted an assist on the game-winning goal in Notre Dame’s 3-2 win over Boston University in the first round of the Hockey East playoffs last weekend. Johns also took two minor penalties and ended the game with a +2 rating. He shares first among team defensemen with 16 points (5G, 11A) this season.
Luke Johnson tallied a point in both games of North Dakota’s weekend slate against Western Michigan. The 2013 pick netted his eighth goal of the season in a 2-0 win on Friday, then collected a helper the next night in a 2-1 loss.
Around the system:
- Teuvo Teravainen recorded a highlight-reel assist for Jokerit in their only outing of the week, a 4-3 shootout win over HIFK. The 2012 first-round pick leads the team with 33 assists and 41 points in just 43 games this season.
- Defenseman Travis Brown picked up two points (1G, 1A) for the WHL’s Victoria Royals in their 5-1 win over Kamloops last Friday. The 2012 fifth-rounder has picked up 15 points (5G, 10A) and a +19 rating in 24 games since joining Victoria From Moose Jaw.
- Rockford started off the week with a 4-2 win over Rochester on Tuesday before dropping two decisions to the Milwaukee Admirals—8-3 on Friday and 6-2 on Saturday. Blueliner Adam Clendening notched a pair of helpers on Friday; he leads AHL defensemen and ranks third among skaters with 40 assists in 61 games this season... Mark McNeill picked up two assists in the two tilts against Milwaukee last weekend.
- Jeremy Morin opened the scoring for Rockford in Tuesday’s win with his 22nd goal of the season, which leads the team and shares 12th in the league. He added an assist on Saturday vs. Milwaukee. Morin’s 204 shots rank third in the league (active players), despite playing in just 46 AHL games this season... Brian Connelly, acquired from the Iowa Wild, notched his first points as an IceHog this season with a goal on Friday and an assist the next night... Rookie Garret Ross also posted a goal and an assist in two outings last week.
- Terry Broadhurst scored twice in three games for Rockford and has five tallies in his last seven tilts; Broadhurst ranks third on the team with 36 points (15G, 21A) in 59 games this season... Brandon Mashinter netted an empty-netter to seal the IceHogs’ 4-2 victory over Rochester, then scored his 11th goal of the season on Friday.
With the regular season winding down in college hockey, the 13 Blackhawks prospects in the collegiate ranks turn their sights to their conference playoffs—and beyond that, the NCAA tournament. Here’s a breakdown of the nine players who will be in action this weekend in best-of-three series.
Hockey East Quarterfinals (March 14-16)
(1) Boston College vs. (8) Notre Dame
Prospects: RW Chris Calnan, C/RW Kevin Hayes (Boston College); D Stephen Johns, C Vincent Hinostroza (Notre Dame)
(2) UMass-Lowell vs. (7) Vermont
Prospects: D Michael Paliotta (Vermont)
NCHC Quarterfinals (March 14-16)
(1) St. Cloud State vs. (8) Miami of Ohio
Prospects: C Anthony Louis (Miami)
(2) North Dakota vs. (7) Colorado College
Prospects: C Luke Johnson, D Nick Mattson (North Dakota)
ECAC Quarterfinals (March 14-16)
(4) Cornell vs. (5) Clarkson
Prospects: D Kirill Gotovets (Cornell)
(3) Quinnipiac vs. (6) Yale
Prospects: C John Hayden (Yale)