1st Star: C/RW Kevin Hayes, Boston College (H-EAST)
The Line: 2GP, 2G, 3A, +3 plus/minus rating
College hockey’s top line kept rolling last weekend, contributing points on seven of BC’s eight goals against Providence and Brown, with 2010 first-round pick Kevin Hayes picking up five points (2G, 3A). On Friday, Hayes assisted on both the Eagles’ opening goal and the game-winning power-play tally, before adding an empty-netter in the 5-2 win over Providence. The next night, he opened the scoring, then notched a helper on the game-tying goal in the third period. Hayes ranks second on the team and third in the NCAA with 35 points (13G, 22A) in 21 games this season.
|(Greg Hamil/Rockford IceHogs) |
2nd Star: LW Jeremy Morin, Rockford (AHL)
The Line: 3GP, 2G, 3A
Morin had points in all three IceHogs games last week, compiling two goals and three assists to reach the 20-point mark for the season. He began with a power-play assist on Rockford’s opening goal in a 4-2 loss at Grand Rapids on Wednesday, then led the team with a goal and two assists in a 4-3 win over Lake Erie on Friday. The next night, Morin scored his ninth goal of the season, which held up as the game-winner in a 6-1 win over Lake Erie. Morin now has eight points (3G, 5A) in his last seven games.
|(Matti Korpi) |
3rd Star: C Teuvo Teravainen, Jokerit (SM-liiga)
The Line: 1GP, 3A
Teravainen’s return to the Jokerit lineup—after leading Team Finland to World Juniors gold last week—was a triumphant one, as the 2013 first-round draft pick collected three assists in a 4-3 win over the Blues on Friday. Two of his helpers came in the second period, as Jokerit opened up a 3-1 lead, and the third assist came on the game-winning goal. Teravainen paces the team with 17 assists in 30 games this season and shares second with 20 points.
Honorable mention: D Adam Clendening (AHL); D Klas Dahlbeck, Rockford (AHL)
Clendening snapped a 16-game goalless streak with his fifth tally of the season for Rockford on Wednesday at Grand Rapids, then added a pair of helpers in Friday’s win over Lake Erie. Clendening’s 26 assists and 31 points continue to pace the IceHogs.
Dahlbeck tied a franchise single-game mark for defensemen with four assists in Saturday’s 6-1 win over the Monsters, which included three on the power play. Dahlbeck moved into fourth place in team scoring with 22 points (8G, 14A) in 39 games.
Around the system:
- Freshman right wing Chris Calnan tallied his second goal in Boston College’s 3-3 tie at Brown on Saturday... Vincent Hinostroza picked up where he left off for Notre Dame, scoring a goal in both games of a weekend sweep over Alabama–Huntsville. The 2012 sixth-round pick paces team freshmen and ranks fifth overall with 16 points (5G, 11A) in just 15 games... Defenseman Michael Paliotta collected a pair of assists in Vermont’s 4-2 win over St. Lawrence last Tuesday, setting a new collegiate career high with 11 helpers. Paliotta leads Catamounts defensemen and shares third overall with 14 points this season.
- Freshman goaltender Matt Tomkins returned from injury last week, going 1-0-1 in two weekend starts for Ohio State against Michigan State. Tomkins made 33 saves on 36 shots in Friday’s 5-3 win, then stopped 25 of 26 shots the next night in a 1-1 overtime tie; Michigan State won in the resulting shootout in six rounds... Buckeyes defenseman and 2012 draft pick Sam Jardine notched an assist in Friday’s win. Ohio State is slated to participate in the Hockey City Classic on Friday, taking on top-ranked hosts Minnesota at TCF Stadium.
- Joakim Nordstrom continued his recent offensive breakout for Rockford, compiling a goal and two assists in addition to a +3 rating last week. The 2010 third-round pick extended his career-long point streak (4G, 8A) to nine games with an assist on Wednesday at Grand Rapids; he also had a goal and an assist in Saturday’s win over Lake Erie. Nordstrom paces the IceHogs with 12 goals and shares second with 23 points in just 30 games this season.
- The Broadhurst brothers also made big contributions over the three-game schedule. Terry opened the scoring on Friday against the Monsters with his eighth goal of the season, with younger brother Alex grabbing the lone assist; Terry added a helper later in the game. Both Broadhursts notched an assist in Saturday’s 6-1 win... Rookie Drew LeBlanc got back on the scoresheet last week for the first time since Nov. 20, tallying in Wednesday and Saturday’s games. LeBlanc now has 14 points (6G, 8A) while appearing in all 40 games for the IceHogs this season.
- David Gilbert picked up four points (2G, 2A) in three appearances with the ECHL’s Toledo Walleye last week; he tied a season high with a goal and two assists in a 7-0 win over Wheeling on Sunday.
- Netminder Brandon Whitney underwent successful surgery to repair four fractures in his throat, sustained when a shot struck him in the neck during practice with the QMJHL’s Victoriaville Tigres last week. Whitney, a seventh-round draft pick in 2012, has a 12-16-4-2 record, 3.23 goals-against average and .907 save percentage in 35 games this season.