Each Monday, the Blackhawks Blog will highlight players who stood out for their minor-league, junior, college, or European teams in the previous week’s action. All prospect/system stats will be updated weekly throughout the 2015-16 season.
|(Photo courtesy Rockford IceHogs) |
1st Star: RW Ryan Hartman, Rockford IceHogs (AHL)
The Line: 3GP, 4G, 1A
Hartman tallied in all three of Rockford’s games last week, hitting double digits for the season with the game-winner in a 5-2 victory over San Antonio on Sunday. Earlier in the week, Hartman recorded his first multi-goal game and a season-high three points in a 6-5 overtime win over the Texas Stars. Hartman leads the IceHogs with 10 goals and 16 points in 21 games this season.
|(UND Athletics/Peter Bottini) |
2nd Star: C Nick Schmaltz, University of North Dakota (NCHC)
The Line: 2GP, 1G, 2A, extends point streak to nine games
With three more points last weekend, it has now been a calendar month since the last time Schmaltz was kept off the scoresheet, as the sophomore pivot has found remarkable chemistry with linemates Drake Caggiula (undrafted) and Brock Boeser (Vancouver’s first-round selection in 2015). Schmaltz scored in UND’s 5-1 win over Denver on Friday, then added a pair of assists in a 4-0 win on Saturday to help complete the sweep. The 2014 first-round pick is tied for fourth in the nation with 24 points in 18 games and shares the NCAA lead with 21 assists. On Monday afternoon, Schmaltz was named to the U.S. training camp roster for the 2016 World Juniors tournament to be held in Helsinki beginning Dec. 26.
|(Photo courtesy Rockford IceHogs) |
3rd Star: D Erik Gustafsson, Rockford IceHogs (AHL)
The Line: 3GP, 1G, 3A
The IceHogs netted a season-high six goals in Wednesday’s 6-5 overtime victory in Texas, which marked a career-best night for defenseman Erik Gustafsson, who posted a goal and added three assists in the outing to extend his point streak to five games. The 23-year-old assisted on both the first and last goals of the contest, and two of his helpers came on the power play. Gustafsson now ranks second among team blueliners with nine points in 19 games to begin his AHL career.
Honorable mentions: RW John Dahlstrom, Frolunda J20 (SuperElit); C Tyler Motte, University of Michigan (BIG10)
Dahlstrom contributed in a big way for Frolunda’s J20 squad, helping them win all three games last week. After posting an assist in a 4-1 win over Sodertalje on Friday, the 18-year-old exploded for four points (2G, 2A) in a 6-1 win over Karlskrona on Sunday. Dahlstrom now has 15 points in 19 games at the U20 level this season.
Motte scored in both of Michigan’s games against Big 10 rivals Wisconsin last weekend and added an assist in a pair of high-scoring outings, helping the Wolverines win 6-4 on Friday and tie 6-6 the next night. Motte now leads the team with nine goals and shares fourth with 12 points in 13 games this season.
Around the system:
- Sweden announced their roster for World Juniors training camp earlier on Monday, which includes two Blackhawks prospects. Gustav Forsling, last year’s top-scoring defenseman at the tournament, is one of 12 potential returnees from the 2015 squad, while University of Nebraska–Omaha freshman Fredrik Olofsson is a strong contender to make the team after posting 12 points in 16 games to begin his NCAA career.
- Another Blackhawks draft pick could be tapped to represent host country Finland: Joni Tuulola, a sixth-round pick in 2015, will be fighting for a spot on the blue line after compiling three assists in 27 games for HPK in the Finnish league... Right wing Radovan Bondra, who has 16 points (7G, 9A) with the Vancouver Giants in the Western Hockey League this year, has been named to Team Slovakia’s preliminary roster. The 2015 fifth-round pick appeared in seven games for Slovakia in last year’s tournament as a 17-year-old.
- Dylan Sikura posted two assists for Northeastern in their weekend set against Boston College; he now ranks second on the team with eight assists and third with 10 points this season... Liam Coughlin netted his first NCAA goal and added an assist on the game-winner in the University of Vermont’s 4-2 win at Boston University on Friday. He now leads team freshmen and shares third overall among Catamounts with seven points this season.
- Phillip Danault saw his first action of the season following hip surgery in September, and the 2011 first-round pick made a quick impact, posting a goal and an assist on Sunday in San Antonio for his first points this year... Vinny Hinostroza contributed a pair of helpers against Texas on Wednesday and added another on Sunday; the 2012 sixth-round pick shares third on the team with eight assists this season... Jeremy Morin notched a helper in each of his two appearances with Rockford last week.
- Before being recalled by Chicago on Sunday morning, Bryan Bickell was having another big week for Rockford, collecting five points (2G, 3A) in two contests to bring his AHL total to 14 points in 12 games this season... Also recalled to Chicago on Monday was Dennis Rasmussen, who extended his point streak to six games for Rockford with a goal and three helpers in three appearances last week.
- Defenseman Ville Pokka scored two goals in three games and now ranks second among IceHogs players (currently on the roster) with 14 points; he and defensive partner Cameron Schilling are the only two skaters to appear in all 23 games for Rockford this season... Nolan Valleau played in two games for the IceHogs last week and picked up an assist in each tilt; he now has eight points (1G, 7A) to begin his AHL career.