1st Star: LW Jeremy Morin, Rockford (AHL)
The Line: 3GP, 4G, 2A, +4 plus/minus, first career hat trick
Rockford stretched their victorious streak to a season-long four games with three wins last week, and Morin led the way offensively with his first career hat trick and an assist on Feb. 8 in a 8-3 rout of the Iowa Wild. He added another goal the next night in a 5-4 overtime win against Utica and now leads the team with 15 tallies in just 35 games this season. Morin’s 71 career AHL goals also constitute a franchise record, passing Preston Mizzi’s 69, set during Rockford’s UHL days.
|(Greg Hamil/Rockford IceHogs) |
2nd Star: C Alex Broadhurst, Rockford (AHL)
The Line: 3GP, 3G, 4A, +5
Broadhurst began the week with his fifth multi-point game (1G, 1A) of the season in a 6-4 win over Hamilton. He added an assist against Iowa on Friday before capping off his week with a career-high four points (2G, 2A) in Saturday’s win over Utica, including the overtime game-winner. Broadhurst’s seven-point week moved him into a tie with Morin for second place in team scoring with 31 points (11G, 20A).
|(Terry WIlson/OHL Images) |
3rd Star: C/RW Ryan Hartman, Plymouth (OHL)
The Line: 3GP, 3G, 1A
Hartman collected points in each of Plymouth’s outings last weekend, helping the Whalers go 2-1 over a three-in-three. Chicago’s first-round pick in 2013 tallied twice in 5-1 win over Sault Ste. Marie on Friday and picked up an assist the next night in a victory over North Bay by the same scoreline. On Sunday, Hartman netted his 19th goal of the season in a 5-4 loss at London; he currently ranks third on the team with 36 points in 38 games.
Honorable mentions: LW Terry Broadhurst, Rockford (AHL); D Adam Clendening, Rockford (AHL)
The elder Broadhurst tallied twice, added three assists and recorded a +5 rating over three games with Rockford last week. His efforts included a pair of two-point nights against Hamilton (1G, 1A) and Utica (2A). Broadhurst ranks fourth in team scoring with 30 points (10G, 20A) in 48 games this season.
Clendening picked up five assists over three games last week and now has 32 helpers in 50 games for the IceHogs. He paces AHL defensemen and shares fifth among league skaters in the category. Clendening and Terry Broadhurst share the team lead with nine multi-point games each in 2013-14.
Around the system:
- Teuvo Teravainen picked up helpers in each of Jokerit’s games last week, totaling four over three games and extending his point streak to 10 games since winning a gold medal with Finland at World Juniors. Teravainen continues to lead Jokerit with 31 assists and 36 points in 39 games this season.
- Kevin Hayes tallied a goal and an assist in two outings for Boston College last week, and both were big points. The 2010 first-round pick scored the game-winner in a 3-1 result over Boston University in the 2014 Beanpot Tournament on Monday, then assisted on the game-winner in a 6-1 win over Merrimack on Friday... 2013 pick Anthony Louis opened the scoring for Miami in a 5-2 loss to Western Michigan on Friday, and added an assist the next night in a 3-2 loss. Both of Louis’ points came on the power play... Freshman Tyler Motte contributed a pair of helpers in Michigan’s 7-3 win at Penn State on Friday—one on the game-winning goal and the other on an empty-netter.
- Vincent Hinostroza recorded assists in each of Notre Dame’s games last weekend, as the Fighting Irish split a homestand against Maine... Senior defenseman Stephen Johns assisted on the game-winning goal that game UND a 3-2 come-from-behind victory over the Black Bears on Saturday.
- After being acquired from the New York Islanders, Pierre-Marc Bouchard found instant chemistry with his new linemates, assisting on all three of Jeremy Morin’s goals in Rockford’s 8-3 win over Iowa on Saturday... Mark McNeill matched a season-high with three points against Hamliton on Tuesday, including the game-winner; he added an assist on Saturday against Iowa... Phillip Danault broke a goalless streak that dates back to November with a pair of tallies against the Wild.
- Klas Dahlbeck posted three helpers last week and now has 19 this season; his 27 points rank second among team defensemen... Brandon Mashinter netted a pair of goals against Hamilton, including the game-winner; he also notched an assist against Utica on Sunday... Drew LeBlanc set a single-game career high with three points (1G, 2G) in Rockford’s 8-3 win over Iowa... Brandon Pirri split the week between Chicago and the IceHogs, but picked up a goal and an assist in Sunday’s win over Utica. Pirri will represent Rockford at the AHL All-Star Classic—held in St. John’s from Feb. 11-12—for the second time in his career.
- Chicago’s 2009 draft pick David Gilbert notched four points (3G, 1A) over three games for the ECHL’s Toledo Walleye last week, including his first multi-goal game of the season at Kalamazoo on Saturday... Maxim Shalunov collected five points (2G, 3A) in three games for the Walleye; he matched a single-game season high with a goal and two assists on Saturday.
- Three goalies in the system went five for five in net last week: For Rockford, Jason LaBarbera won both of his starts, while Kent Simpson picked up his team-leading ninth victory. In the ECHL, Mac Carruth also collected a pair of victories. Brandon Whitney, a 2012 seventh-rounder, is still recovering from throat surgery, while Ohio State freshman Matt Tomkins did not play last weekend.