The seventh annual Blackhawks Convention, presented by Magellan, will take place at the Hilton Chicago (720 S. Michigan Ave.) from Friday, July 18 to Sunday, July 20, with over 10,000 fans expected to attend.
The sold-out event, which is the first of its kind in the National Hockey League, will feature players, coaches and Blackhawks Alumni, along with team broadcasters and executives. The weekend includes 18 Q&A panels with players and front office staff, autograph and photo opportunities, an area dedicated to interactive games (Salon A) and over 35 vendors (Salon D). Salon A will also feature live broadcasts with Blackhawks guests from WGN Radio AM-720 and 87.7FM The Game throughout the weekend.
The 2014 Blackhawks Convention officially launches for media attending with a social that includes all attendees on Friday in the Waldorf Room from 3:00-4:30 p.m. Master of Ceremonies and Blackhawks TV Color Analyst Eddie Olczyk will host the Opening Ceremonies in the International Ballroom beginning at 5:00 p.m. Several panels throughout the weekend will be streamed live on chicagoblackhawks.com and on mobile devices via the Official Blackhawks App.
Other highlights of the weekend include (subject to change):
- Blackhawks Game Show, presented by The Second City on Saturday evening in the International Ballroom, where fans will compete in a variety of challenges with current and former Blackhawks players
- The Locker Room Sale in the Grand Ballroom throughout the weekend, featuring live and silent auctions of Blackhawks memorabilia and game-used equipment
- Brent Seabrook, Marian Hossa, Niklas Hjalmarsson and Michal Rozsival discuss becoming new parents and balancing their on-ice demands with personal needs away from the rink on Saturday at 10:15 a.m.
- Head Coach Joel Quenneville, Assistant Coaches Mike Kitchen and Kevin Dineen and Goaltending Coach Jimmy Waite talk about their views from behind the bench and guiding a Stanley Cup contender on Saturday at 10:15 a.m.
- Hear from Conn Smythe trophy winners Jonathan Toews, Patrick Kane and Brad Richards on reaching the pinnacle of hockey excellence and what it takes to get back to those heights on Saturday at 11:30 a.m.
- Doug Shaw and George Saad, joined by their sons Andrew and Brandon, discuss raising Stanley Cup champions, watching their sons play in the NHL and more on Saturday at 3:15 p.m.
- Blackhawks legends Tony Esposito, Bobby Hull, Stan Mikita, Pierre Pilote and Denis Savard join Blackhawks Team Historian Bob Verdi to recall their biggest moments in Chicago and discuss the current team’s success on Sunday at 9:30 a.m.
- Media celebrities serving as panelists, moderators and hosts, including Dave Kaplan of WGN Radio and Comcast SportsNet, WGN Radio’s Dave Eanet, WGN-TV’s Dan Roan, Comcast SportsNet’s Pat Boyle and Pat Tomasulo, CBS2’s Rob Johnson and ABC7’s Mark Giangreco and Ravi Baichwal
Fans visiting the interactive area in Salon A can take photos with and hold a piece of Chicago Blackhawks history, including part of the original Chicago Stadium Pipe Organ, Bobby Hull’s stick that he used to score his first 50th goal in a single season and the 17 Seconds puck that secured the Blackhawks’ fifth Stanley Cup championship in franchise history
2014 Blackhawks Convention Hours:
Friday, July 18: Registration begins at 12:00 p.m. with all lower halls opening at 3:00 p.m.
Opening Ceremonies will begin at 5:00 p.m. in the International Ballroom
Saturday, July 19: 9:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.
Sunday, July 20: 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
For up-to-the-minute information, log on to chicagoblackhawks.com. Fans in attendance are encouraged to visit the information booth, located in the lower level lobby of the Hilton Chicago.