There is so much analysis and debate before the NHL Draft, mostly discussing how each prospect projects as an NHL player. Sometimes these projections are accurate, sometimes they prove to be wildly off-target.
Below are scouting reports of select Blackhawks from HockeysFuture.com and Hockey Prospectus. Match the player described below with one of the current Blackhawks or prospects listed. Answers are at the bottom - no peeking!
1. HockeysFuture.com: "A hard-nosed, hard working, agitator type. Not likely to be an offensive star at any level, but can get under anyone’s skin and is a good bet to outwork his opponents night in and night out."
2. Hockey Prospectus: "His hockey sense is a plus tool as he thinks the game very well in both zones, displaying an offensively-gifted playmaker style of game, on top of showing advanced defensive abilities. He has above-average puck skills and combining that with his vision and anticipation allows him to be an effective playmaker who can make people miss and set up his teammates."
3. HockeysFuture.com: "Noted for his ability to make smart plays, while using the entire playing surface to his advantage. He is another defenseman who has a good overall defensive package and is not afraid to use his body. He is strong protecting the net in his zone and is able to work opponents off the puck effectively. Noted for his offensive upside, he can also work effectively in the offensive zone and has a great shot package."
4. HockeysFuture.com: "A big player with great speed. Accelerates really well and reaches full speed very fast. Forechecks successfully and plays with good intensity. A natural sniper with a fine scoring touch."
5. Hockey Prospectus: "Power play skills and overall passing ability are a true plus tools and at times I've seen him flash plus-plus. He can make long stretch passes on the tape and he can do it at times without looking straight towards the recipient. He's calm and creative along the points and can be a pain for whoever has to cover him with quick one-time passes, heady shot and pass fakes, and good lateral mobility."
6. HockeysFuture.com: "A strong power forward...works hard and is extremely physical. He isn’t at all afraid to drop the mitts and duke it out. He’s a powerful skater who loves to crash the net and possesses a pretty good set of hands, allowing him to work close to the net. He forechecks and backchecks harder than most his age. He has a very powerful shot and uses it a lot."
7. HockeysFuture.com: "At his best, ____ is a power forward with the strength and scoring touch to wreak havoc in front of the net. He is strong and solidly built. Good hockey sense and able to create space for himself as well as linemates. Responsible in his own zone and anticipates the play well."
CLICK HERE FOR THE ANSWERS