Skip to main content
The Official Site of the Colorado Avalanche

On The Road: Trip To Philadelphia

Colorado heads out for a three-game road trip

by Ron Knabenbauer @RonKnab /

Following a 5-3 win over the Buffalo Sabres at home on Saturday night, the Colorado Avalanche had an off day on Sunday to give the players some much needed rest with a rare two days between games.

With an early practice and flight ahead for its trip to the East Coast, the players arrived at the Avs' practice facility by 7:30 a.m. on Monday in preparation for the skate and travel. Before taking the ice, the team grabbed a little breakfast and had some meetings to go over video of Colorado's victory versus Buffalo.

All 22 Colorado players were accounted for during practice, ending any possible speculation that there might be a trade in the works. With the NHL Trade Deadline just two days away, those kinds of assumptions will be common about the club since it is already out of the playoff picture. The only roster update on the Avs following the session was regarding the goaltending situation for Tuesday's game in Philadelphia. Head coach Jared Bednar hadn't decided if he is going to play Calvin Pickard, who missed the outing against the Sabres with a stiff neck, or Jeremy Smith, who made his third career start and picked up his first win on Saturday.

After the skate and any post-practice responsibilities that they might have had, the players and staff hurried to the airport for their flight out east. The team's charter plane took off at exactly noon and made the roughly three-hour journey to Philadelphia. On the trip, the players had lunch and then either played cards, read, watched a movie or TV show, or took a short nap.

At 5:07 p.m. ET, the team's charter touched down in the Philadelphia area. It was a bit up a bumpy ride going down as the plane had to circle above the city a few times before landing.

Once on the ground and off the plane, the Avs gathered their belongings and loaded up onto buses that were destined for their downtown hotel.

About 20 minutes later, the Avalanche arrived at the hotel where the players grabbed their key and went up to their rooms. The remainder of the evening was open for the team, with many of the members going out to get some dinner before resting up for the next day's game against the Flyers.

View More