Four different skaters found the back of the net for the Colorado Avalanche as the team won 4-1 against the Vegas Golden Knights on Wednesday at T-Mobile Arena.
Matt Calvert had a goal and an assist while Vladislav Kamenev, Logan O'Connor and Jayson Megna also tallied for the Avs. Goaltender Pavel Francouz denied 16 of the 17 shots he faced in the victory, his second exhibition outing of the year.
It was the first loss of the 2019-20 preseason for the Golden Knights, who scored with 18 seconds remaining to end Francouz's shutout bid.
10:38 COL (1-0) - Colorado had a 3-on-2 rush and TJ Tynan passed to Matt Calvert, who sent a wrist shot past Vegas goaltender Malcom Subban.
1:37 COL (2-0) Vladislav Kamenev scored with a one-timer from the right circle after A.J. Greer sent a backhand pass to him.
10:52 COL (3-0) - PPG, Sheldon Dries threw the puck on net as a power-play chance was expiring, and Logan O'Connor cleaned up the rebound in front of the net.
8:33 COL (4-0) - Jayson Megna collected the puck after a Golden Knights turnover and toe dragged around a defender before sliding a backhand shot into the Vegas net.
19:42 VGK (4-1) - Patrick Brown gets the Golden Knights on the board with his first tally of the preseason.
Final: Avalanche - 4 | Golden Knights - 1
Photo Gallery | Statistics | Highlights
Colorado: Pavel Francouz stopped 16 of the 17 shots he faced in the outing
Vegas: Malcolm Subban played the entire contest for Vegas and made 28 saves on 32 shots
- Jayson Megna tallied for the third game in a row. He has four points (three goals, one assist) in four exhibition outings this year.
- Matt Calvert had a goal and assist in the outing, increasing his preseason point total to three (one goal, two assists).
- Dan Renouf's assist was his fourth helper in three exhibition outings.
- The Avalanche outshot the Golden Knights 32-17, including by a 15-5 edge in the second period. It was the fourth consecutive game that the Avs have outshot their opponent.
- Colorado and Vegas have met twice in each preseason since the Golden Knights entered the league in 2017-18, and the Avs have gone 1-1 in each exhibition year.
- Calvert, Matt Nieto and Nikita Zadorov were the alternate captains in the outing.
Jayson Megna scores for the third game in a row after a neutral-zone turnover by Vegas.
Video: COL@VGK: Megna toe drags and buries backhand goal
IMAGE OF THE GAME
Sheldon Dries and Matt Calvert celebrate after Logan O'Connor scored to give Colorado a 3-0 lead.
Colorado used a non-traditional lineup of 11 forwards and seven defensemen. The rear guards in the matchup were Bowen Byram, Kevin Connauton, Jacob MacDonald, Dan Renouf, Calle Rosen, Conor Timmins and Nikita Zadorov… Nikita Zadorov and Michael Joly both played in their first games of the preseason… Hunter Miska was the Avalanche's backup goaltender.
Nikita Zadorov played his first game of the preseason after missing the previous four contests with a minor lower-body injury… Ian Cole (hips) and Colin Wilson (should/lower body) both continue to recover and skated with Avalanche on-ice performance consultant Shawn Allard on Wednesday at Family Sports Center.
The Avalanche concludes the 2019 preseason at the Dallas Stars on Saturday. It will be the second exhibition matchup between the clubs this year, as Colorado fell 2-1 to Dallas at Pepsi Center on Sept. 19.