Catch up on the latest news of Avalanche prospects in minor leagues, college and junior hockey.
The Avalanche's AHL affiliate, the Albany River Rats, opened their season 1-1-0 on the road last week. The River Rats were shut out in the Oct. 6 season opener 6-0 by the Rochester Americans but rebounded to beat the Lowell Devils 5-3 on Oct. 7. The Arizona Sundogs will open their season with exhibition games beginning Oct. 13. Several NCAA hockey teams opened their regular season schedules last weekend, though most will begin this upcoming weekend. The WHL and OHL junior hockey leagues completed the third week of action.
- River Rats right wing Ben Guite scored two goals in the Oct. 7 victory, and goaltender Tyler Weiman stopped 24 of 27 shots against the Devils.
- The Avalanche's first selection in the 2006 Entry Draft, Chris Stewart, scored Kingston's lone goal in a 4-1 loss to Ottawa on Oct. 1. The game was his second since returning to the OHL after playing three preseason games with the Avalanche. Stewart has two goals and an assist in four games with Kingston.
- The University of Michigan opens its regular season on Friday, Oct. 13 against Alabama-Huntsville. Senior T.J. Hensick lit up the scoreboard during exhibition play this weekend, scoring six points (one goal, 5 assists) in a 10-2 win over the University of Waterloo on Saturday, Oct. 7. Hensick also scored the overtime, game-winner with 0.4 seconds left on the clock in a 3-2 exhibition win over the U.S. National Team Development Program's U-18 team on Sunday, Oct. 8.
- Miami University hosted Denver, Vermont and Colgate at the Ice Breaker Tournament to start the season. Sophomore Justin Mercier scored a powerplay goal in Miami's opener, a 5-2 win over the Denver Pioneers on Oct. 6. Senior J.D. Corbin had an assist for the Pioneers.
- Forward Codey Burki, who was Colorado's third choice (2nd round, 59th overall) in the 2006 Entry Draft after a draft-day trade with Calgary, ranks 10th in WHL and second in team scoring with six goals and six assists in eight games. Burki scored two goals and had an assist in Monday's 6-5 victory over the Lethbridge Hurricanes.
- Defenseman Ray Macias has contributed three goals and two assists in six games for the Kamloops Blazers. Macias is tied for 10th in scoring for all WHL defensemen and is second in team scoring for the Blazers.
- University of Minnesota freshman Michael Carman, Colorado's fourth selection this past June, scored two goals in an exhibition game against the University of Lethbridge. Teammates Ryan Stoa and Derek Peltier each added an assist in the 6-2 victory.