Tyler Toffoli tallied the first hat trick in an NHL outdoor regular-season game and Jonathan Quick stopped 32 of 33 shots, leading the Kings to a last-minute 3-1 win over the Avalanche in front of a sellout crowd of 43,574 at Falcon Stadium in the 2020 Navy Federal Credit Union NHL Stadium Series.
Toffoli gave the Kings a 1-0 lead at 14:01 of the first period, tallied the game-winning goal at 19:05 of the third period and notched the insurance marker at 19:55 to seal the 3-1 win. It marked Toffoli's third career NHL hat trick (first since Dec. 28, 2015 at Vancouver) and was the first three-goal performance in the 30 NHL outdoor regular-season games played to date.
Toffoli (18-16-34 in 58 GP) leapfrogged Anze Kopitar (17) and Jeff Carter (17) to take over the team lead in goals this season. He has already surpassed his goal total and matched his point output from all last season (13-21-34 in 82 GP) and sits two tallies shy of his fourth career 20-goal campaign.
Quick turned aside a 15-shot Avalanche barrage in the first period and made 32 saves overall in picking up his 321st career regular-season victory. He improved his outdoor record to 2-1-0, having picked up his previous win in the 2015 Stadium Series over the Sharks at Levi's Stadium in Santa Clara, Calif. Quick became the fifth goaltender with multiple regular-season wins in outdoor games, joining Henrik Lundqvist(4-0-0), Braden Holtby (2-0-0), Craig Anderson (2-0-0) and Ty Conklin (2-1-0).
Quick improved to 18-6-1 in 26 games against the Avalanche, with his 18 wins against Colorado the most over a non-divisional opponent.
LAST-MINUTE HEROICS IN OUTDOOR GAMES
Tyler Toffoli's game-winner at 19:05 of the third period marked the third last-minute, game-winning goal in an NHL outdoor regular-season game, following those by Washington's Troy Brouwer (2015 Winter Classic vs. Chicago at Nationals Park, 19:47) and Detroit's Brad Richards (2016 Stadium Series vs. Colorado at Coors Field, 19:00).
KOPITAR REACHES HALF-CENTURY MARK FOR 13TH TIME
Kings captain Anze Kopitar (0-2-2) notched assists on both last-minute goals by Tyler Toffoli to increase his team-leading season scoring total to 17-34-51 in 59 games. Kopitar reached the 50-point mark for the 13th time in his 14-year NHL career; the only season he did not reach 50 occurred in the shortened 48-game campaign in 2012-13.
STADIUM SERIES QUICK HITS
* The Kings improved to 2-1-0 in NHL outdoor regular-season play, having previously dropped a 3-0 decision to the Ducks in the 2014 Stadium Series at Dodger Stadium and defeating the Sharks 2-1 in the 2015 Stadium Series at Levi's Stadium in Santa Clara, Calif.
* The Avalanche dropped to 0-2 outdoors following a 5-3 loss to the Red Wings in the 2016 Stadium Series at Coors Field in Denver. Colorado has surrendered the game-winning goal in the final minute of regulation in both losses.
* There have been 30 total regular-season outdoor NHL games to date: 12 Winter Classics, 11 Stadium Series, five Heritage Classics, one Centennial Classic and one NHL100 Classic.
* The 2020 Navy Federal Credit Union NHL Stadium Series marked the second time the NHL has brought the NHL Stadium Series to a U.S. Service Academy following the Washington-Toronto matchup at Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium in Annapolis, Md., in 2018.
* The temperature at puck drop was 32.5ºF/0.3ºC, much cooler than the start temperature for the Stadium Series game in Denver four years ago (65ºF/18ºC) - the warmest regular-season outdoor game on record.
* Nineteen outdoor games have taken place at football venues, 10 have been hosted by baseball parks and one has been staged in a soccer stadium.
* A total of 853 skaters, goaltenders and head coaches have participated in the NHL's 30 regular-season outdoor games to date.
* A crowd of 43,574 fans attended Falcon Stadium. The 30 NHL regular-season outdoor games have drawn total attendance of 1,622,081 - an average of 54,069 per game. NHL outdoor attendance surpassed the 1.5-million mark at the 2020 Bridgestone NHL Winter Classic between the Dallas Stars and Nashville Predators at Cotton Bowl Stadium on Jan. 1, 2020.
* The 2020 Navy Federal Credit Union NHL Stadium Series at Falcon Stadium was played 6,621 feet above sea level, a record for an NHL regular-season outdoor game. The figure surpasses the 5,200-foot elevation of Coors Field in Denver, home to a 2016 Stadium Series game between the Avalanche and Detroit Red Wings.
* Road teams improved to 17-9-4 in the League's 30 outdoor games to date. Home teams are 13-14-3 overall.
* Teams that score first are 16-9-5 in the NHL's 30 outdoor games, including an 11-3-3 record in the last 17 such contests.