Forwards Simon Gagne and Ville Leino will have a chance to make the Boston Bruins roster at training camp, coach Claude Julien said Tuesday.
"We wouldn't invite those guys just to fill in our training camp roster," Julien told the Bruins website. "Older guys that have some experience … both of them are coming off injuries, major injuries. They both feel really good. Gagne didn't play at all last year but trained a lot; he's feeling the best he's felt in a long time. And Leino's the same way. Those guys have experience, so it's an opportunity for those guys to seize some of those spots, if they want to, and then for the young guys to battle their way into it."
Gagne and Leino will attend camp, which begins Thursday, on a tryout basis. Gagne, 34, did not play in the NHL last season because of injuries to his neck, head and groin. Leino, 30, had 15 points (all assists) in 58 games with the Buffalo Sabres and was given a compliance buyout this summer.