Kootenay Ice forward and Montreal Canadiens prospect Tim Bozon, who contracted a form of acute bacterial meningitis late last month, is showing signs of improvement which include responding to verbal stimuli.
The Saskatoon Health Region on Thursday updated the condition of Bozon, whom doctors said remains in critical but stable condition.
According to the update that was posted on the Kootenay Ice website, Bozon remains in the intensive care unit (ICU) at Royal University Hospital in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, after being admitted March 1 with Neisseria Meningitidis.
Bozon, a 2012 third-round pick (No. 64) of the Canadiens, has been in an induced coma since being admitted to the ICU, but doctors are now working to slowly wake him. His family has said Bozon has responded to verbal stimuli.
Bozon's parents, Philippe and Helene, have been overwhelmed by email and social media support and are very appreciative and will respond sometime in the near future.
The Western Hockey League has established a trust fund to assist the Bozon family with medical and rehabilitation costs. Details regarding the Tim Bozon Trust will be released by the WHL later this week.
Bozon, who had 30 goals and 62 points in 50 games for Kootenay this season, was admitted to Royal University Hospital the morning after scoring a goal in 4-2 victory against the Saskatoon Blades in Saskatoon on Feb. 28.
It was at that time Bozon's parents were contacted and joined their 19-year-old son at the hospital in Saskatoon after arriving from their home in Cureglia, Switzerland.