We have updated our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. By continuing to use the NHL’s online services, you agree to these updated documents and to the arbitration of disputes.
Welcome |Account|Sign Out 
NEW! SIGN IN WITH YOUR SOCIAL PROFILE
OR
Username or EmailPassword
 
SHARE

Sharks F Marty Havlat no longer potential buyout candidate after undergoing surgery

Monday, 06.24.2013 / 5:55 PM / News

The Canadian Press

Share with your Friends


Sharks F Marty Havlat no longer potential buyout candidate after undergoing surgery

SAN JOSE, Calif. - San Jose Sharks forward Marty Havlat has undergone surgery to help repair the injured groin that sidelined him during the playoffs and will not be an option to be bought out of the final two years of his contract this summer.

General manager Doug Wilson said Monday that Havlat had a bilateral pelvic floor reconstruction earlier this month and will be sidelined indefinitely.

With Havlat injured, the Sharks will not be able to use one of the two compliance buyouts in the new collective bargaining agreement to get out of the final two years of his $30 million, six-year contract.

Wilson had previously not said whether the team would use a buyout this summer. He said Monday he does not expect that to happen.

Quote of the Day

It's pretty crazy, but believe me when I say we didn't draft these players with the mindset we had to because they had good hockey-playing dads. It just turned out that way. But we're certainly glad they're a part of our organization.

— Arizona Coyotes director of amateur scouting Tim Bernhardt regarding the coincidence that six of the organization's top prospects are sons of former NHL players