We have updated our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. By continuing to use the NHL’s online services, you agree to these updated documents and to the arbitration of disputes.
Welcome |Account|Sign Out 
NEW! SIGN IN WITH YOUR SOCIAL PROFILE
OR
Username or EmailPassword
 
SHARE

Canucks goaltender Schneider returns to practice, but playoff status uncertain

Monday, 04.29.2013 / 6:15 PM / News

The Canadian Press

Share with your Friends


Canucks goaltender Schneider returns to practice, but playoff status uncertain

VANCOUVER - Vancouver Canucks goaltender Cory Schneider returned to practice Monday, but his status for the first game of the Stanley Cup quarter-finals against the San Jose Sharks remained uncertain.

Schneider was injured April 22 in a win over Chicago, when he played the whole game without any apparent discomfort. He had not practised with the team since then and missed Vancouver's final two regular-season games, but worked out briefly with an assistant coach Sunday.

Coach Alain Vigneault reiterated that Schneider's status remains day to day.

Many hockey observers had speculated that the 27-year-old netminder from Marblehead, Mass., was not injured. But Schneider said his undisclosed ailment prevented him from playing.

"It wasn't really a rest issue," said Schneider. "It was a day-to-day injury, and I had to take some time off."

Schneider said he knows when he was injured against the Blackhawks, but declined to elaborate. He has been making progress in his recovery and hopes to play against the Sharks at some point.

"I'd love to play in the playoffs," said Schneider. "I've felt good about how I've been playing lately."

Schneider earned victories in his last two regular-season games to finish with a 17-9-4 record. He had an impressive 2.11 goals-against average and five shutouts.

He was ticketed as Vancouver's playoff starter months ago after displacing Roberto Luongo in last spring's first-round playoff loss to the Los Angeles Kings.

Meanwhile, Luongo, who has tried to say and do all the right things all season long since an expected off-season trade did not come through, apologized for ducking reporters after a 7-2 loss in Edmonton on Saturday.

"I was pretty upset and I have to apologize for taking off on you guys," said Luongo. "I was upset with myself. It’s tough to get embarrassed like that. It’s happened one too many times for me."

Luongo said he needed time to cool off after allowing six third-period goals — including five in a span of three minutes and 35 seconds.

"I was fuming," said Luongo. "It was better for me to sit on the bus than to say some things that I would have regretted."

Luongo would get the start on Wednesday if Schneider is not ready to return.

Quote of the Day

You don't see many. The [Drew] Doughtys, the [P.K.] Subbans, those are guys that create offense from the back and then on top of that ability, the size that he has. In the West you play against some pretty big players, and being able to clear the crease and contain the [Ryan] Getzlafs and the [Corey] Perrys and [Anze] Kopitars and players like that, we're excited about him going back there.

— Sharks general manager Doug Wilson on Brent Burns returning back to defense