NEW YORK -- Unrestricted free agent forward Shane Doan is still waiting for more information to come out regarding the Phoenix Coyotes ownership situation before he begins to entertain any of the contract offers he has received, or gets into further discussions on the potential for contract offers from other teams.
"I've made no bones about the fact that I want to go back to Phoenix if the situation works out," said Doan, who was in New York on Thursday attending the collective bargaining session between the National Hockey League and the National Hockey League Players' Association. "I understand at some point I'll have to probably make a decision without knowing all the information, but until I get as much information as I can, I'm going to try to wait."
Doan said he would have liked to already have his decision made, but instead he finds himself trying to avoid the temptation of signing a contract before he learns as much as he can about Greg Jamison's bid to buy the Coyotes.
Doan has spent his entire career with the same franchise, including the past 16 years in Phoenix. He has been the Coyotes captain since 2003.
"I want to make (my decision) as soon as I can," Doan said. "I've got four kids and my wife getting ready for the upcoming season. My kids are older. They're all in school. They've got different things they like to do, whether it's dance or hockey or volleyball or swimming. To get into a new city and find stuff like that is sometimes tough, so obviously my wife would like it to be sooner than later."
Doan said the Coyotes came to him right away to talk about a new contract, but it didn't get discussed much because he is still seeking information on the ownership situation.
Jamison has been approved by the NHL as the buyer for the franchise and is attempting to work through the process of completing the purchase.
Doan said he has been in regular communication with Jamison and Coyotes general manager Don Maloney.
"They've been great as far as keeping me informed of what they think is going on," Doan said. "The hardest thing is nobody really has an idea. It's just being pushed further down the road. I think that's disappointing for them very much as well as it is for me. It's disappointing that it hasn't been dealt with and done a while ago."
Doan said he is grateful that all the teams that have expressed interest in him have been patient and understand the situation facing his family. He said he is accepting contract offers but not actively seeking them.
"I don't want to put anybody in a situation where they feel like if they impress me I'll come," Doan said. "Until I make my decision, I don't want to force anybody's hand."
Follow Dan Rosen on Twitter at: @drosennhl