We have updated our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. By continuing to use the NHL’s online services, you agree to these updated documents and to the arbitration of disputes.
Sign in with your NHL account:
  • Submit
  • Or
  • Sign in with Google
 
SHARE

Doan still waiting to make decision

Wednesday, 07.11.2012 / 12:54 PM / NHL Free Agency 2012

By Dan Rosen - NHL.com Senior Writer

Share with your Friends


Doan still waiting to make decision
The Coyotes captain is willing to wait until next Monday, when the team's future in Arizona might become more clear, before he starts considering other options available in free agency.

Shane Doan seems willing to give the Phoenix Coyotes until next Monday before he starts considering other options available to him in free agency.

Doan originally set a July 9 deadline to get a new multiyear contract done with the Coyotes. His initial deadline coincided with when he was hoping to get more clarity on Greg Jamison's bid to purchase the Coyotes.

However, the deadline came and went without any more clarity on the ownership situation. Doan, though, isn't ready to give up on the Coyotes, so, according to Fox Sports Arizona, the longtime Phoenix captain set a new tentative deadline of July 16.

That date coincides with when Doan could learn if Jamison's deal to buy the Coyotes will proceed or if the matter won't be resolved for several more months.

 

"I would say if we don't have an answer by the 16th it may be time to get serious about listening to other teams' offers," Doan's agent, Terry Bross, told Fox Sports Arizona.

Bross later told USA Today that Doan could listen to offers before then.

"There is no relevance to the July 16th date for us," Bross said. "That's off the table."

The decision on Doan's future -- either in Phoenix or elsewhere -- is being clouded by issues that are far from the ice.

Jamison's bid to buy the Coyotes includes an approved 20-year, $324 million lease agreement with the City of Glendale. That agreement passed in the city council by a 4-2 vote but was subsequently held up in court early last month.

Two Glendale residents who oppose the lease agreement, Ken Jones and Joe Cobb, have been trying to gather enough signatures in order to get a referendum on the November ballot regarding the deal between the city and Jamison.

Jones and Cobb initially had 30 days from the date the lease agreement passed in court to gather the signatures and submit the petition for the referendum to the city. Their deadline was July 9, but they argue that they didn't receive the paperwork necessary to move forward with their referendum campaign until a week after the lease agreement passed, so they should have 30 days from that point, which takes them until July 16.

Even if Jones and Cobb get enough signatures and submit the petition on July 16, it's unclear if they will have to clear legal hurdles in order to get a referendum on the November ballot. That could take more time to sort out, and time is not exactly on the Coyotes' side when it comes to potentially re-signing Doan, who has played his entire career with the franchise, moving with it from Winnipeg to Arizona in 1996.

"Unlike the majority of athletes, he takes responsibility for this organization," Bross said. "Don't think it's lost on him that it's going to have an impact in more ways than on the ice if he leaves. That's why we're dragging our feet on this."

Bross has said Doan has interest from 11 teams. The Los Angeles Kings reportedly made a contract offer to the forward earlier this week.

Doan wants to sign a multiyear contract and his hope has always been to remain a Coyote, but if the ownership issues aren't resolved or at least proceeding as planned he might have to start considering his other options.

"We thought (Monday) we would have closure," Bross said. "Now it's hurry-up-and-wait again."

Follow Dan Rosen on Twitter: @drosennhl

Quote of the Day

Fifty-five? That's shorts weather.

— New Anaheim Ducks forward, and Michigan native, Ryan Kesler on locals in Southern California considering 55 degrees to be cold
Yahoo Sports Fantasy Hockey