We have updated our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. By continuing to use the NHL’s online services, you agree to these updated documents and to the arbitration of disputes.
Welcome |Account|Sign Out 
NEW! SIGN IN WITH YOUR SOCIAL PROFILE
OR
Username or EmailPassword

NHLPA files appeal of Torres' 25-game suspension

Thursday, 05.03.2012 / 7:29 PM / Department of Player Safety News

NHL.com

Share with your Friends


NHLPA files appeal of Torres' 25-game suspension
The National Hockey League Players' Association has filed an appeal of the 25-game suspension handed to Phoenix forward Raffi Torres last month.

The National Hockey League Players' Association has filed an appeal of the 25-game suspension handed to Phoenix forward Raffi Torres last month.

Torres was penalized during the Western Conference Quarterfinals for a late hit to the head of Chicago Blackhawks forward Marian Hossa in Game 3 of the series. Hossa did not return to the game or the series, which Phoenix won in six games.

The appeal is reported to center around the length of the ban and not the ban itself.

NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman would hear the appeal under the rules of the Collective Bargaining Agreement. No date for a hearing has been set.

"The National Hockey League will have no comment on this matter other than to confirm the fact that an appeal has been filed and it will be processed in the ordinary course," NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly said.

In announcing the suspension, Brendan Shanahan, NHL senior vice president of Player Safety, said Torres was guilty of interference, charging and an illegal check to the head on the hit. He also said that Torres' status as a repeat offender under the terms of the CBA played into the length of the ban.