WINNIPEG – The Boston Bruins were forced to go without leading scorer Tyler Seguin in their 2-1 loss to the Winnipeg Jets on Tuesday night.
Boston coach Claude Julien made Seguin a healthy scratch after the second-year pro overslept the team's breakfast and meeting earlier in the day.
Seguin's 13 goals and 25 points lead the Bruins, and his plus-19 mark ranked first in the League to begin the evening. But Julien asserted that there would be no exceptions made for Seguin, especially since it was not the first such incident for the 19-year-old.
"If you start not dealing with those issues," Julien explained, "it's only going to get worse."
Afterward, Seguin faced a gaggle of reporters.
"It was a mistake," Seguin admitted. "(It's) something you can really only learn from and move on. I know it was a mistake, and I know it wasn't professional, and it's going to have consequences."
While Julien held firm in his decision, he does not plan to dwell on it heading into the Bruins' home date with Florida on Thursday night.
"Hopefully it's a learning thing," Julien said. "He is a good player and he's a good individual that is going to bounce back and play the next game."
Seguin's teammates were equally forgiving. Veteran Shawn Thornton spoke with Seguin earlier in the day.
"He's a smart kid," Thornton said of Seguin. "It's only his second year, but he gets it. We've all been through it. We've all made mistakes."