Reports of Marco Sturm's departure from Boston apparently were premature.
Multiple media reports on Thursday said Sturm, a 12-year NHL veteran who scored the overtime winner for the Bruins at Fenway Park at the 2010 Bridgestone NHL Winter Classic, had been traded to the Los Angeles Kings. However, no trade was announced by either team -- and the Bruins issued a statement Thursday night saying no deal was imminent.
"I am aware of the various media reports today regarding Marco Sturm," GM Peter Chiarelli said in a statement issued Thursday night on the Bruins' website. "I can confirm that I spoke to Marco about waiving his no trade clause and have had discussions regarding Marco with other teams. I can also confirm that there is no trade in place with Marco. At this time, Marco is a member of the Boston Bruins and will continue to train with our team."
Sturm hasn't played in an NHL game this season after having surgery on his right knee. He was injured in Game 1 of the Bruins' Eastern Conference semifinal series with the Philadelphia Flyers.
The 32-year-old Sturm was a first-round pick (No. 21) by San Jose in the 1996 Entry Draft and played part of eight seasons with the Sharks before he was traded to Boston early in the 2005-06 season as part of the package for Joe Thornton. His best season came in 2007-08 when he scored 27 goals and a career-high 56 points for the Bruins. In 855 NHL games, Sturm has 234 goals and 466 points. He also has 8 goals and 19 points in 52 playoff games.
The Bruins traded defenseman Matt Hunwick to Colorado on Wednesday for young defenseman Colby Cohen as they try to clear cap space. Center Marc Savard played his first game on Thursday after missing Boston's first 23 games while recovering from a concussion.