Vancouver Canucks General Manager Mike Gillis told the Vancouver Sun the NHL is studying the 12-year, $64 million contract of goalie Roberto Luongo and Boston Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli said the League continues to look into the long-term contract of center Marc Savard.
"We have complied with the NHL request for information and are awaiting further instructions," Gillis told the Sun. "Cannot say anything further at this point."
"We are cooperating fully with the League in its investigation of the Marc Savard contract extension," Chirarelli said in a statement. The League informed us upon their registration of the contract on December 1, 2009 that they would be investigating the circumstances surrounding this contract. From that point on, they commenced their investigation and it has been ongoing since then. On August 4th, I met with two League appointed lawyers as part of the investigation. We will continue to cooperate with the League in any future investigative proceedings if necessary and we will have no further comment on the matter at this time."
Monday, arbitrator Richard Bloch sided with the NHL in a grievance over Ilya Kovalchuk's 17-year, $102 million front-loaded deal with the New Jersey Devils, thus voiding the contract and making Kovalchuk an unrestricted free agent once again. Bloch also referred to the long-term contracts of Luongo, Savard, Philadelphia's Chris Pronger and Chicago's Marian Hossa.
"The apparent purpose of this evidence is to suggest that the League's concern is late blooming and/or inconsistent," Bloch wrote in his decision. "Several responses are in order: First, while the contracts have, in fact, been registered, their structure has not escaped League notice: those SPCs [standard player's contracts] are being investigated currently with at least the possibility of a subsequent withdrawal of the registration."