Welcome |Account|Sign Out 
NEW! SIGN IN WITH YOUR SOCIAL PROFILE
OR
Username or EmailPassword
2010 NHL Entry Draft

Chiarelli: Bruins won't deal No. 2 pick

Wednesday, 06.23.2010 / 3:31 PM / 2010 NHL Entry Draft

By Dan Rosen - NHL.com Senior Writer

Share with your Friends


Chiarelli: Bruins won't deal No. 2 pick
Boston GM Peter Chiarelli says the Bruins won't be trading the No. 2 pick in the Entry Draft, but hinted that other deals could be in the works.
Boston Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli re-iterated on a conference call Wednesday afternoon that he will be not be trading the No. 2 pick in the Entry Draft and added that he is also not done in "changing the makeup of the team after the ups and downs we had" this past season.

Chiarelli, who is expected to select Tyler Seguin with the second pick – assuming Edmonton takes Taylor Hall No. 1 -- on Tuesday pulled the trigger with Florida GM Dale Tallon on a multi-player deal that netted the Bruins right wing Nathan Horton and center Gregory Campbell in exchange for defenseman Dennis Wideman, the No. 15 pick in Friday night's first round and a third-round pick in 2011.

"We're looking at other options and we've got a few other things that may happen. I'm just not ready to commit to anything." -- Peter Chiarelli

Wideman was a key component to the Bruins blue line, but Chiarelli felt it was too important to acquire a scoring winger for his team that finished dead last in goals (196) in 2009-10. Horton has scored at least 20 goals in each of the past five seasons, including 31 in 2006-07.

As a result, Chiarelli has a hole to plug on defense. Rumors are circulating that Toronto's Tomas Kaberle could be in play this weekend in a trade scenario. Chiarelli said he does not comment on trade speculation but added, "I may not be done in fixing the defense."

However, he's not certain the Bruins have to get another puck-moving defenseman to replace Wideman.

"I think we have a real good system installed and sometimes the search of a puck mover, sometimes there is just not one out there, not one that is a perfect fit," he said. "If we do add something it may not be purely what you would characterize as a puck mover. We have a guy like Matt Hunwick, who turned a bit of a corner at the end. Andrew Ference played hurt and he moves the puck well. Dennis Seidenberg moves the puck well. And, our guys are well-coached. If I can't find a perfect one I think we'll be fine."

Since Chiarelli does not comment on trade speculation, there was no news regarding the immediate futures of Marc Savard and Tim Thomas, a pair of Bruins whose names have been linked to several potential deals. But that doesn't mean they are not going to be moved. Chiarelli confirmed what has been widely speculated in recent days -- that GMs across the League are engaged in talks to reshape their own rosters.

The general opinion in the hockey world is this weekend's draft could be a swap meet of sorts.

"I think in the last week and a half to two weeks there have been a lot more conversations," he said. "I have been involved in a lot more and the guys that I talked to say they can see increased activity. They see what I see -- a thinner free agent market and teams that want to move things around. With the parity we have now sometimes a tweak here and there can make a difference. There is a lot of stuff that I hear firsthand and it seems a lot more imminent than it's ever been. I would think the combination of the parity, the thin free agent market and now that the union elected the inflator, the cap cushion, there is going to be more movement."

For now, though, Chiarelli is pleased with the move he made Tuesday and is excited to add Horton. With Seguin likely on the way, he said if they don't do anything else with their forward group he'd be OK with it.

"Nathan is a tremendous shooter, a big body, can skate and play physical. There are a lot of things to like about him," Chiarelli said. "We think at the end of the day if we do nothing else with our forwards we're adding an established, big, power shooter and a young, speedy guy. We're happy with that."

Chiarelli also has four potential unrestricted free agents to deal with. He has been involved in discussions with agents for Mark Recchi and Johnny Boychuk, though he had "nothing to report there." He hasn't yet spoken to forward Miroslav Satan, but he informed forward Steve Begin that he won't be re-signed before July 1.

"We're looking at other options and we've got a few other things that may happen," Chiarelli said. "I'm just not ready to commit to anything."

Follow Dan Rosen on Twitter at: @drosennhl