Some random hockey thoughts to chase away the summer heat.
* What happened to all the talk of making the goal net bigger? The bowed net seems to have gone in the same direction of wooden sticks.
* There sure seems to be a high number of free-agent goalies looking for work. It appears more and more teams are going with a higher-priced No. 1 goalie and then looking to pay the backup near the league minimum.
* If I had a son, I would want John Tortorella coaching him. There would never be a dull moment and my son would know exactly where he stood with "Torts" running the show.
* People ask me all the time why I don't believe the rumors of all the trades and signings that are "oh so close" from being a done deal? One reason, because 99.9 percent are not true.
* My prediction for the team that will have the most improved points production from last season -- The Los Angeles Kings.
* I hope more NHL players start twittering. A quick and easy way for fans to become more attached to their favorite player and great PR for the player and the NHL.
* Can't believe Jarome Iginla is 33 years old. For some reason, I thought he was in his late 20's.
* There used to be a time when the vast majority of hockey bloggers took the summer off. Not anymore, too many stories to follow, write and we really can't afford to get out of the loop.
* In order to speed up the first day of the NHL Entry Draft, I would have the drafted player go directly to the stage after his name has been called, then meet up with his family and friends for the group hug after he leaves the stage.
* Now that Rick Nash has committed to the Columbus Blue Jackets, the management team needs to find him a No. 1 center.
* Player A has played in 1,346 NHL games and 91 playoff games. He has 1,349 points in the regular season and 82 points in the playoffs. He is 38. Player B has played in 1,524 NHL games and 184 playoff games. He has 1,354 points in the regular season and 134 points in the playoffs. He is 40. Both players are unsigned and player A is unsure if he will return while player B will play if signed. Player A probably wants at least twice the amount in salary that player B wants. Who do you want, Mats Sundin or Brendan Shanahan?
* I keep getting older and the players keep getting younger. Something is wrong with that equation.
* I am on a media waiting list to cover the hockey games at the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver. So a note to the media out there, if you are not attending, please let the media relations people know, I need to make room accommodations quickly!
* The month of July is almost over, then comes the long month of August. Come September, we can really start getting excited about hockey again.
* With Toronto only a four-hour trip from my home in the Detroit area, I am planning on attending the Hockey Hall of Fame Induction Weekend in early November. An added bonus is the Wings playing the Leafs on Saturday. I wonder if the Air Canada Centre will be a sea of red that night, with No. 19 on the back of those sweaters?
* Have a great week and as always, feel free to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org and you can also follow me thru twitter at this address.