No. 4 Chicago Blackhawks (idle) can clinch the No. 4 seed in the Western Conference:
* If the Calgary Flames get one or no points against the Edmonton Oilers.
No. 6 Columbus Blue Jackets can clinch the No. 6 seed in the Western Conference:
* If they get at least one point against the St. Louis Blues.
No. 7 Anaheim Ducks can clinch a Western Conference playoff berth:
* If they beat the Dallas Stars.
* If they get one point against Dallas and the Nashville Predators get one or no points against the Minnesota Wild.
No. 8 St. Louis Blues can clinch a Western Conference playoff berth:
* If they beat the Columbus Blue Jackets and the Nashville Predators get one or no points against the Minnesota Wild.
No. 9 Nashville Predators can clinch a Western Conference playoff berth:
* If they beat the Minnesota Wild and the St. Louis Blues lose in regulation to the Columbus Blue Jackets.
Presidents' Trophy update
* San Jose (at LA Saturday) can clinch the Presidents' Trophy with a win.
* If San Jose gets one point, Boston would clinch if it won both its games.
* If San Jose gets no points, Boston would need three points in its final two games (In that scenario both teams would finish with 117 points and 53 wins. Head-to-head would not be considered because they played one game against each other this season -- under tie-breaking rules, if teams play an odd number of games against each other, the first game in the city with the extra home game is thrown out. Boston would win the subsequent tie-breaker on superior goal difference over the entire regular season).
Playoff seed summary
1. Boston Bruins
2. Washington Capitals
3. New Jersey Devils
4. Philadelphia, Carolina or Pittsburgh
5. Philadelphia, Carolina or Pittsburgh
6. Philadelphia, Carolina or Pittsburgh
7. NY Rangers or Montreal
8. NY Rangers or Montreal
1. San Jose Sharks
2. Detroit Red Wings
3. Vancouver or Calgary
4. Chicago, Vancouver or Calgary
5. Chicago, Vancouver or Calgary
6. Columbus, Anaheim or St. Louis
7. Columbus, Anaheim, St. Louis, Nashville or Minnesota
8. Columbus, Anaheim, St. Louis, Nashville or Minnesota
BOLD indicates clinched playoff seed
Eastern Conference matchup possibilities (regardless of home ice)
Series A (East 1 vs. East 8)
Boston vs. Montreal
Boston vs. NY Rangers
Series B (East 2 vs. East 7)
Washington vs. NY Rangers
Washington vs. Montreal
Series C (East 3 vs. East 6)
New Jersey vs. Philadelphia
New Jersey vs. Carolina
New Jersey vs. Pittsburgh
Series D (East 4 vs. East 5)
Philadelphia vs. Carolina
Philadelphia vs. Pittsburgh
Carolina vs. Pittsburgh
Western Conference matchup possibilities (regardless of home ice)
Series E (West 1 vs. West 8)
San Jose vs. Columbus
San Jose vs. Anaheim
San Jose vs. St. Louis
San Jose vs. Nashville
San Jose vs. Minnesota
Series F (West 2 vs. West 7)
Detroit vs. Columbus
Detroit vs. Anaheim
Detroit vs. St. Louis
Detroit vs. Nashville
Detroit vs. Minnesota
Series G (West 3 vs. West 6)
Vancouver vs. Columbus
Vancouver vs. Anaheim
Vancouver vs. St. Louis
Calgary vs. Columbus
Calgary vs. Anaheim
Calgary vs. St. Louis
Series H (West 4 vs. West 5)
Chicago vs. Vancouver
Chicago vs. Calgary