* Consider Flyers goalie Martin Biron to have graduated from the same school of common sense as CTN. Asked about the possibility of playing without a mask, Biron had this to say; "I've seen Marty Brodeur and Roberto (Luongo) a few times keep playing without a mask and every time I see it, I think it's just stupid. I just wanted to find a place to hide and hope that nothing else happened." Amen to that, brother!
* With some of the long-term deals handed out in the last week – Calgary’s Miikka Kiprusoff and Ottawa’s Jason Spezza – the 15-year deal that Rick DiPietro signed last year doesn’t seem as far-fetched as it once did, does it?
* When Atlanta gets around to interviewing for a new head coach, CTN sure hopes Brad McCrimmon, currently an assistant coach with the Thrashers, gets a sit-down with management. The hard-charging McCrimmon has paid his dues and is respected by the Thrashers players.
* For those of you who only know Jay Pandolfo as one of the game’s elite checking forwards, CTN is here to tell you that the man can score goals. “Pando” had 78 goals and 167 points in a 133-game career at Boston University. He also scored 24 goals and 53 points in 68 minor-league games. Now he has been given a chance to re-discover his scoring touch a decade into his NHL career.
* Has anyone ever told Sean Avery about the glass-house theory? Just wondering.
* It sure was awful watching the New England Patriots – I mean the Evil Empire – win a football game Sunday against those lily-white Colts, wasn't it? Not! By the way, which team was doing all the gyrating and celebrating after every play? Just saying, is all.
* The Edmonton Oil Kings certainly are an impressive expansion team in the Western Hockey League. Twenty games into the season and the new boys are 9-8-1-2. Not too bad.
* Speaking of the WHL, if CTN were an NHL GM, he would be doing whatever it took to get Kyle Beach at this June's NHL Entry Draft. That kid has classic power forward written all over him.
* Has anybody checked to make sure that really is Pascal Leclaire playing goal for the Blue Jackets? CTN is sure that it really is and congrats to Leclaire for finally figuring it out after a few rough years.
* CTN wishes safe travels and good luck to Darius Kasparaitis, who was loaned by the Rangers to St. Petersburg in the Russian Super League. Unfortunately, it appears that the always-entertaining Kasparaitis has played his last NHL game. He deserved a better fate.
* Think Brad Richards is happy to leave the New York area? In three games during a four-night stretch there, Richards went minus-5 and had just one assist. The Lightning lost all three games, as well.
* The Led Zeppelin reunion tour has been pushed back from Thanksgiving time to early December because of a broken finger suffered by guitarist Jimmy Paige. That gives CTN a few more weeks to try to score a ticket to the London show. If not, CTN will have to get by with the best-of collection set to be released next week.