We have updated our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. By continuing to use the NHL’s online services, you agree to these updated documents and to the arbitration of disputes.

Flyers hold off Rangers 2-1 for first win

Wednesday, 08.06.2014 / 4:52 AM

PHILADELPHIA -- An injury-plagued Philadelphia Flyers team desperate for its first win of the season scored a pair of goals in the second period and had a remarkable showing on a third-period penalty kill en route to a 2-1 victory against the New York Rangers on Thursday.

Wayne Simmonds had a goal and an assist and Jakub Voracek scored what proved to be the game-winner. Ilya Bryzgalov stopped 18 shots as the Flyers snapped an eight-game winless streak against the Rangers, dating to Feb. 20, 2011.

The Flyers played without two-thirds of their top line -- Brayden Schenn was suspended for a high hit Tuesday against the New Jersey Devils' Anton Volchenkov and Scott Hartnell is out four-to-eight weeks with a broken first metatarsal in his left foot. The Flyers also were missing injured forwards Danny Briere (wrist) and Zac Rinaldo (leg).

Taylor Pyatt scored the Rangers' lone goal on a third-period power play and goalie Henrik Lundqvist made 31 saves.

Pyatt's goal early in the third was the League-high seventh power-play goal allowed by the Flyers this season, but their penalty-killers recovered to save the game.

At 9:24, rookie forward Tye McGinn was assessed a double minor for high-sticking Rangers defenseman Michael Del Zotto. Just 15 seconds later, Nicklas Grossmann was sent off for hooking, giving the Rangers a two-man advantage for two full minutes. With Sean Couturier, Maxime Talbot and Braydon Coburn doing most of the work, the Flyers survived the two-man advantage. The Rangers' Brad Richards had a solid chance in the slot, but Couturier lifted his stick before he could get a shot off.

Bryzgalov also slid across to stop a Rick Nash attempt from just off the right post with his left pad.

After Grossmann exited the box, the Flyers still had to kill off the final 1:45 of the McGinn penalty, but they survived that flurry as well.

Simmonds put the Flyers ahead at 11:53 of the second period with his first goal of the season. Grossmann's shot from the right point hit off Richards in the slot and bounced off Simmonds' right skate and past Lundqvist.

The lead was just the Flyers' second of the season, and first since they had a one-goal lead for 10:57 in the second period of their second game of the season, against the Buffalo Sabres.

Voracek's first of the season was the Flyers' second on the power play. Kris Newbury was assessed an extra roughing minor after a fight with McGinn. On the ensuing power play, Claude Giroux badly missed a one-timer from the left circle, banging it off the end boards, but the carom went to Simmonds in the slot. Lundqvist stopped his attempt, but the rebound went to Couturier, who's pushed the puck off the right post. The rebound went to Voracek who poked the puck over the goal line at 15:54.

The Rangers got within a goal early in the third on Pyatt's third goal of the season. New York got a power play 22 seconds in when Philadelphia defenseman Braydon Coburn was called for high sticking. On the man advantage, Grossmann slid to block a Marian Gaborik shot from the slot, but the puck bounced right back to the New York forward, who found Pyatt just to the left of the Philadelphia net for a goal at 1:39.


Back to top