- DRAFT PROSPECT CARD - 2011
North American Skater
|LAST CLUB TEAM:
||October 27, 1992
||Pittsburgh, PA, USA
• In the 2011 Ontario Hockey League playoffs, Saad finished third on the team with 12 points (3-9--12) in 12 games -- Saginaw was eliminated by Windsor, the defending Memorial Cup Champions. During the regular season, he was tied for second on the team with 27 goals (27-28--55) and 12 powerplay goals in 59 games.
• A gold medalist at the 2010 Under-18 World Championships, Saad competed for the U.S. Under-18 National Team Development Program in 2009-10 -- he led the team with 58 points (29-29--58) in 63 games. He was one of the final seven players cut from the U.S. roster for the 2011 World Junior Hockey Championships.
• Born of Syrian descent (his father is from Syria), Saad played one season with the North American Hockey League’s Mahoning Valley Phantoms in 2008-09 alongside his older brother, George. He was named the NAHL’s Rookie of the Year after finishing the season with 47 points (29-18--47) in 47 games. He was also selected to the All-NAHL team, the All-North division team, and the All-Rookie team.
• A Pittsburgh Hornet alum, he is one of four former Hornets to be ranked by Central Scouting for this year’s draft -- goaltenders John Gibson (No. 1 ranked goaltender) and Michael Houser (No. 19 ranked goaltender) and forward Jonathan Miller (No. 23 ranked).
• At the Under-14 U.S. National Championships he won both the puck relay event and the breakaway contest at the skills competition.
• In his freshman year of high school, he played for Pine-Richland High School in his hometown Gibsonia, and former Pittsburgh Penguins forward Troy Loney was his coach. A Pittsburgh fan, he goes to watch the Penguins any time he is home during the hockey season.
NHL team: Pittsburgh Penguins
NHL player: Sidney Crosby
Shootout move: Shot
Goal celebration: “On one knee ice sweep”
Video game: NHL 2010
Movie: The Holiday
TV show: Friends
Actor: Adam Sandler
Restaurant: Primanti Bros. Restaurant
Sport (other than hockey): Soccer
Breakfast food: Cereal