TORONTO -- The San Jose Sharks
were one of the most active teams at last year's draft, making a pair of moves that landed them defenseman Brent Burns
and forward Martin Havlat
. It might not be at the same level this year, but Sharks GM Doug Wilson could see his team being just as active this year.
"We have six picks, hopefully we'll have more picks by the time the draft comes around," Wilson told NHL.com. "We think it's a good draft, we really do. Lot of people do tend to just look at the top five or seven or 10 picks and value the draft on that basis. There's quality guys in those spots, but I think there's some really good players deeper in the draft that are going to play and have very successful careers."
The Sharks currently have the 17th pick in the first round, and Wilson said they'll stick to their philosophy of taking the best player available, regardless of position. However, if there's a player they like, Wilson said he won't be afraid to move up to get him.
"If you feel there's good players there, people are going to be aggressive and move up to get them," Wilson said. "We look at it that way. You forecast where you think players will get drafted and you want to get into that area. If a player drops or you feel a player that you really want might not be where your pick is, you have to go up and get him."
Wilson said he believes that with the depth of talent in this year's draft, he could see a lot of teams making deals at the draft.
"Every team is going through the process right now of evaluating what they need, what players could potentially be available July 1 -- which could be a limited market, who knows," he said. "Once you get everyone together, things happen. I wouldn't be surprised to see it be an active draft."
Contact Adam Kimelman at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter: @NHLAdamK