Housley in no rush to fill extra defense slot

Thursday, 12.27.2012 / 2:47 PM | Adam Kimelman  - NHL.com Deputy Managing Editor

The United States did pretty well with six defensemen in its opening game at the 2013 IIHF World Junior Championship, getting three goals from its blue-line corps in an 8-0 win against Germany on Thursday.

It's one below the maximum number allowed to play, but coach Phil Housley didn't sound like someone rushing to add anything to his roster.

The U.S. plays Russia (9 a.m., NHLN-US), last year's silver medalists, on Friday.

"We're going to talk as a staff tonight and digest this game, maybe make that decision tomorrow," Housley told NHL.com following his team's win against Germany. "Depending on any medical things going on with our team, I think we may make a decision."

If the Housley and the USA Hockey staff decide to do anything, the choices are adding size and strength with Patrick Sieloff, or more of an offensive-minded player in Matthew Grzelcyk. Or they could just stick with what they have.

"That's a day-to-day thing," Housley said. "We're going to evaluate how our defensemen are. We're going to fill that spot when the time comes. That decision may be [Friday]. Depends on how the guys recuperate and feel [Friday]. I guess we'll evaluate that and make that decision at that time."

Contact Adam Kimelman at akimelman@nhl.com. Follow him on Twitter: @NHLAdamK

Back to top