Mitchell Holmberg scored in just one of the two games he played over the weekend, but it was quite a performance.
The Spokane Chiefs right wing had a hat trick and a pair of assists -- including one on the game-tying goal -- and also scored in the shootout in his team's 7-6 shootout win against the Seattle Thunderbirds on Friday. The five points were a career-high.
Holmberg now leads the Chiefs with 41 points, and his 22 goals are second.
There were other 2013 NHL Draft prospects in the Western Hockey League who had big performances last weekend:
* Holmberg's teammates, Marek Kalus and Reid Gow, each had three assists in Spokane's win against Seattle on Friday.
* Brandon center Tim McGauley had two goals in the Wheat Kings' 4-2 win against the Moose Jaw Warriors on Friday.
* Portland center Nicolas Petan had a goal and an assist Friday in the Winterhawks' 4-2 defeat of the Everett Silvertips. On Saturday, he had a pair of assists in a 4-2 defeat of Seattle. Petan, No. 15 in NHL Central Scouting's preliminary ranking of WHL skaters for this year's draft, is second in the league with 58 points.
* Brandon center Chad Robinson had two goals in the Wheat Kings' 4-2 win at Moose Jaw on Saturday.
* Calgary goalie Mack Shields stopped all 18 shots in the Hitmen's 2-0 defeat of the Regina Pats on Saturday.
* Medicine Hat defenseman Ty Stanton had a goal and three assists in the Tigers' 7-6 overtime win against the Kamloops Blazers on Saturday.
* Prince George teammates Daulton Siwak had two goals and Chase Witala had a goal and three assists in the Cougars' 6-0 win against the Vancouver Giants. Goalie Brett Zarowny stopped all 23 shots for the shutout.
* Tri-City's Eric Comrie, Central Scouting's top-rated goaltender, stopped 36 of 37 shots in the Americans' 2-1 win at Spokane on Saturday.
* Swift Current goalie Landon Bow stopped all 20 shots he faced Sunday in a 4-0 shutout of the Kootenay Ice. Teammate Colby Cave had a pair of assists in the victory.
Contact Adam Kimelman at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter: @NHLAdamK
|Back to top|