The London Knights have emerged as the best team in the Ontario Hockey League, and a big reason for that is the play of their best player, top 2013 NHL Draft prospect Max Domi.
The 5-foot-9.25, 193-pound center, the team's second-leading scorer with 41 points in 30 games, has scored 21 of those points during the team's current 15-game win streak.
He added six points to that total as the Knights swept three games over the weekend. On Friday, he had a goal and two assists in a 5-3 defeat of the Barrie Colts. He scored two more goals Saturday in a 3-1 defeat of the Guelph Storm. And he closed his big weekend with a game-opening power-play goal in what ended as a 4-3 shootout win at the Mississauga Steelheads on Sunday.
Domi, No. 4 on NHL Central Scouting's preliminary ranking of the top 25 OHL skaters available for this year's draft, has 10 goals and 11 assists during the win streak. He also has a pair of game-winning goals.
Domi wasn't the only draft eligible OHL player to perform at a high level over the weekend:
* Domi's teammate, Bo Horvat, had a pair of goals in Friday's defeat of Barrie. Horvat is No. 5 on Central Scouting's top 25.
* Owen Sound center Cameron Brace had a pair of goals and an assist in the Attack's 6-4 win at the Sudbury Wolves on Friday. On Saturday he had a pair of assists in his team's 2-1 win at the Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds.
* Sudbury left wing Nathan Pancel had his first OHL hat trick in Friday's loss to Owen Sound. Teammates Mathew Campagna (three) and Nicholas Baptiste (two) combined for five assists.
* Mississauga center Dylan Smoskowitz score twice and added an assist Friday in a 6-4 loss to the Niagara IceDogs.
* Brampton's Barclay Goodrow scored the go-ahead goal on a penalty shot and added an assist in the Battalion's 6-5 win at Niagara on Saturday.
* Ryan Hartman of the Plymouth Whalers had two goals and an assist in his team's 5-4 shootout loss to the Kitchener Rangers on Saturday. Hartman is No. 11 on Central Scouting's list.
* Saginaw left wing Terry Trafford scored a pair of goals in the Spirit's 10-3 defeat of the Ottawa 67s on Saturday. Teammates Eric Locke and Nick Moutrey each had a goal and an assist.
* Owen Sound right wing Zach Nastasiuk scored a goal and assisted on the game-tying goal as the Attack defeated Saginaw 4-3 in a shootout on Sunday.
Contact Adam Kimelman at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter: @NHLAdamK
|Back to top|