It's been incremental gains the last three seasons for Kingston Frontenacs center Billy Jenkins. But this weekend, he shifted into overdrive.
Jenkins, a 5-10.25, 175-pound forward, had one goal in 2010-11, his first OHL season, and last season had 10 split between the Niagara IceDogs and Kingston, which acquired him in January. He had seven goals heading into the weekend, but scored more than half that amount in two games.
Friday at the Plymouth Whalers, he scored two goals, including the game-winner with 6:06 left in regulation as the Frontenacs earned a 7-6 road win. After being held without a point Saturday in a 2-1 loss to the Saginaw Spirit, he had scored two more goals -- including the go-ahead goal in the second period -- in a 4-3 win at the Windsor Spitfires.
Jenkins now has 11 goals, second on the team.
Here is how some other 2013 NHL Draft hopefuls from the Ontario Hockey League performed this weekend:
* Jenkins' teammate, center Darcy Greenaway, had a hat trick plus an assist in the 7-6 win at Plymouth on Friday. In a losing effort, the Whalers' Alexander Aleardi had two goals and three assists.
* Windsor goalie Jaroslav Pavelka stopped 43 or 44 shots in a 2-1 win against Saginaw on Friday.
* Kitchener Rangers goalie Frank Palazzese made 22 saves Friday in a 5-0 win against the Sarnia Sting for his first OHL shutout in his fourth season in the league.
* London center Max Domi, No. 4 on NHL Central Scouting's ranking of the top 25 draft-eligible skaters in the OHL, had a pair of assists in the Knights' 2-0 defeat of the Peterborough Petes.
* Guelph right wing Zachery Mitchell had two goals in the Storm's 7-5 win against the Ottawa 67s on Saturday. Teammate Jason Dickinson, No. 6 on Central Scouting's list, had a pair of assists.
* Saginaw left wing Terry Trafford scored the game-winning goal and had an assist in the Spirit's 2-1 defeat of Kingston on Saturday.
* London goalie Jake Patterson stopped all 21 shots he faced in a 3-0 win at the Owen Sound Attack on Saturday.
* Ottawa goalie Clint Windsor made 50 saves on 53 shots in a 3-0 loss at the Belleville Bulls on Sunday.
* Owen Sound left wing Kyle Hope scored two goals in the Attack's 6-1 win at the Mississauga Steelheads on Sunday. Teammate Cameron Brace had three assists.
Contact Adam Kimelman at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter: @NHLAdamK
|Back to top|