• Murphy has committed to Miami University for the fall of 2011 along with teammate Tyler Biggs (No. 22 ranked) and long-time childhood friend Sean Kuraly (No. 50 ranked).
• At the 2011 Under-18 World Championships, Murphy led the U.S. defensemen with three goals (3-1--4) and a plus-seven rating in six games. He was named Player of the Game after he scored the gold-medal winning overtime goal, his second of the game, helping Team USA defeat Sweden 4-3. The victory gave the U.S. its third straight gold medal and sixth in tournament history.
• In 2010-11, Murphy appeared in just 14 games, due to injury, tallying six points (3-3--6), for the U.S. National Under-18 Team. Before the season started, he captained the U.S. to a silver medal at the 2010 Ivan Hlinka Memorial tournament in August.
• His father, Gord, was drafted in 1985 (189th overall) by Philadelphia and went on to play 14 years in the NHL, with the Flyers, Boston Bruins, Florida Panthers and Atlanta Thrashers. He is currently an assistant coach with the Florida Panthers.
• Before moving to Ann Arbor, Michigan for the U.S. NTDP, he played for the Columbus Jr. Blue Jackets, registering 18 points (7-11--18) in 35 games.
• He wears number five, the same number his father wore for most of his career, and one of his favorite pieces of sports memorabilia is his pin collection from the Quebec Peewee tournament.
NHL player: Nicklas Lidstrom Shootout move: “Datsyuk’s backhand fake to forehand” Goal celebration: “Chris Pronger’s fist pump up on one leg” Video game: FIFA ‘11 Movie: The Hangover TV show: Entourage Actor: Will Ferrell Music Artist: Eminem Website: NHL.com Book: Lone Survivor by Marcus Luttrell Pump-up song: “Re-Education” by Rise Against Home-cooked meal: Steak with potatoes and salad