• Cowen’s 2008-09 season was cut short due to a knee injury at the end of January. Prior to his injury, he had a plus-15 rating, 21 points (7-14-21) in 48 games and was selected to participate in the CHL Top Prospects game (0-2-2).
• In 2008, he helped lead the Spokane Chiefs to a Memorial Cup championship, shutting down the Kitchener Rangers in the final and sealing the win with an empty net goal. He was a plus-six in 21 playoff games.
• In his first year as a Chief in 2007-08, Cowen led all rookie defensemen with a plus-28 and was named the Spokane Rookie of the Year as well as the WHL Western Conference Scholastic Player of the Year.
• He served as an alternate captain for Team Canada at the 2008 Under-18 Ivan Hlinka Memorial tournament. He also helped Team West win the bronze medal at the World Under-17 Hockey Challenge, recording seven assists (0-7-7) in six games and was named the Player of the Game three times.
• He was selected first overall by Spokane in the 2006 WHL Bantam Draft from the Saskatoon Contacts of the Saskatchewan Midget AAA Hockey League.
• He started skating at the age of four after a public skating session and his first hockey team was the Allan Flames. He played six years with Allan Minor hockey before switching to Martensville after atom.
• If he could invite any three people to dinner he would choose his dad’s parents that he never got a chance to meet and his favorite NHL player, Nicklas Lidstrom – “I would want to learn about my dad and get pointers from Lidstrom”.
• His most embarrassing hockey moment was when the Memorial Cup broke during Spokane’s on-ice celebrations.
NHL Player: Nicklas Lidstrom Shootout move: “Fake shot, moving left to right, then shoot blocker” Goal celebration: Fist pump Video game: Call of Duty Movie: Forgetting Sarah Marshall TV Show: Entourage Actor: Seth Rogen Cartoon: Family Guy Website: NHL.com Book: “It’s not about the Bike” by Lance Armstrong Restaurant: Moxies Sport (other than hockey): Golf Activity away from the rink: Movies Breakfast food: Eggs scrambled with cheese Superhero: Iron Man