• After an injury shortened season in 2007-08, Ashton stormed back with the Hurricanes this season, leading the team in goals (30) and power-play goals (10). He finished with 50 points (30-20-50) in 70 games this season.
• His father, Brent, a former NHL forward, was selected 26th overall in the 1979 NHL Entry Draft by the Vancouver Canucks and was traded eight times throughout his career. Brent played 998 NHL games, scoring 284 goals (284-345-629) playing for nine different NHL teams (Vancovuer, Colorado, New Jersey, Minnesota, Quebec, Detroit, Winnipeg, Boston and Calgary) between 1979 and 1993. His uncle, Ron Ashton, played for the Winnipeg Jets in the WHA during the 1974-75 season.
• He represented Canada for the first time at the 2008 Ivan Hlinka Memorial tournament, scoring the gold-medal winning goal to give the Under-18 team their fourth gold medal in five years. Also, as a member of Team West at the 2008 World Under-17 Hockey Challenge, Ashton was named player of the game, recording three assists in the West’s 9-6 win over Team Pacific for the bronze medal.
• He is very close with current draft-eligible players and fellow Saskatoon natives: Brandon forward Brayden Schenn (ranked 4th), Spokane defenseman Jared Cowen (ranked 9th) and Kamloops forward Jimmy Bubnick (ranked 55th).
• At the age of three, he started skating and had lived in Las Vegas, Boston, Winnipeg and Calgary before he was five years old. A product of the Saskatoon Minor Hockey Association, his first hockey team was the Saskatoon Flyers.
• Ashton names his father and grandfather as having had the most influence on his career – “they have always been there for me about hockey and have great knowledge about the sport”.
• He wears number 18 because his dad wore it in Boston and his childhood hockey idol was Cam Neely – “I remembered him as a power-forward and he was fun to watch”.
NHL Team: Boston Bruins, Philadelphia Flyers NHL Player: Rick Nash Shootout move: Spin-o-rama Goal celebration: Fist pump Video game: NHL ‘09 Movie: Wanted Actor: Nicolas Cage Cartoon: Garfield Website: NHL.com Book: The Complete Player by Saul Miller Pump up song: “New Noise” by Refused Restaurant: The Keg Sport (other than hockey): Fishing Place to visit: My Cabin Snack: Fruit Superhero: Batman