• He averaged nearly a point-per-game in his first season in Finland's top league, leading all rookies with 40 points (13-27--40) in 43 games playing for HIFK -- a program that has produced several NHL stars: Olli Jokinen, Sami Kapanen, Kimmo Timonen as well as the Tuomo and Jarkko Ruutu.
• He represented his country at the 2010 World Junior Championships where he led his team in points (7) and assists (6) with Finland finishing fifth overall.
• At the 2010 World Under-18 Championship, Granlund helped Finland to a bronze medal, leading the tournament in assists (9) and finishing third in points (13) in six games. He had four points (1-3--4) in the 5-1 bronze medal win over Russia and was named one of Finland’s best three players. He also won bronze at the 2009 World Under-18 Championships.
• His younger brother, Markus, plays for HIFK’s junior team and joined Mikael at the 2010 Under-18 tournament totaling six points (1-5--6). They weren’t linemates, but Markus did assist on Mikael’s game-winning goal in the bronze medal game.
• Granlund first put on skates at the age of two and by the time he was five years old his father was taking him to hockey practices. He credits his parents for having the most influence on his career for their support and dedication to his hockey.
NHL team: Montreal Canadiens NHL player: Sidney Crosby Shootout move: “Forsberg style” Movie: The Hangover TV show: Prison Break and 24 Website: facebook.com Home-cooked meal: Macaroni Place to visit: Jamaica
NHL GameCenter LIVE™ is now NHL.TV™.
Watch out-of-market games and replays with an all new redesigned media player, mobile and connected device apps.
Introducing the new official NHL App, available for iPhone, iPad and Android smartphones and tablets. A host of new features and improved functionality are available across all platforms, including a redesigned league-wide scoreboard, expanded news coverage, searchable video highlights, individual team experiences* and more. The new NHL App on your tablet also introduces new offerings such as 60fps video, Multitasking** and Picture-in-Picture.
*Available only for smartphones
** Available only for suported iPads