• Playing his second season with the U.S. National Team Development Program (NTDP), he helped the team to back-to-back World Under-18 Championship gold medals (2009 and 2010) – in 2010 he was selected by the coaching staff as one of the team’s top three players.
• Merrill also played a key role for Team USA’s three-game sweep at the 2009 Four Nations Cup and their second-place finish at the 2010 Six Nations Cup.
• He was born in Oklahoma City, but moved to Michigan at the age of five where he began following in the footsteps of his hockey playing older brother, Greg. His brother is now a defenseman for the Bay State Breakers of the Eastern Junior Hockey League.
• Merrill, who has committed to Michigan University for next season, on the type of game he plays: "I'm not the strongest or the fastest player and I don't have the heaviest shot, so when I play the game, I have to out-think my opponent because I can't out-skill or throw guys into the boards."
• Before joining the NTDP, he played for Little Caesar's in the Midwest Elite Hockey League and growing up in Michigan he idolized Detroit Red Wings defenseman Nicklas Lidstrom.
NHL Team: Detroit Red Wings NHL Player: Nicklas Lidstrom Shootout move: Shot Video Game: Guitar Hero Movie: Dazed and Confused TV Show: Entourage Actress: Jennifer Aniston Home-cooked meal: Flank steak Activity away from the rink: Disc golf
I challenged him to a goalie fight when we chatted before the game, but he didn't want to go. It was strange to see him at the other end of the ice, but I'm sure he felt the same way looking down at our end.
— Vancouver goalie Eddie Lack joking about facing his former teammate Roberto Luongo after the Canucks' win against the Panthers