The Fargo Force saw the difference between victory and defeat separated by just three goals in three games over the weekend.
Fargo won two of its three games last weekend, all of them one-goal affairs, with a big reason for their success being center Gabe Guertler, who had two goals and two assists in the two victories.
After being held off the score sheet in a 3-2 loss at the Des Moines Buccaneers on Friday, the 5-foot-8.5, 175-pound Guertler assisted on the opening goal of the rematch Saturday, and he scored his 10th goal of the season 30 seconds into the second period of what ended as a 5-4 Fargo win. On Sunday, his unassisted goal late in the first period tied the game and started a four-goal run that sparked the Force to a 5-4 victory at the Tri-City Storm.
For the season, Guertler has 11 goals in 14 games, two more goals than he scored last season in 57 games. He's committed to the University of Minnesota for next season.
Guertler was one of a number of 2013 NHL Draft prospects in the United States Hockey League to have big weekends.
* Indiana goalie Dalton Izyk made 37 saves, including 17 in the third period, in the Ice's 2-1 win Friday against the Green Bay Gamblers.
* Des Moines left wing Luke Voltin had a pair of assists in his team's 3-2 win Friday against Fargo, and had a goal and two assists in Saturday's loss to the Force.
* Omaha Lancers left wing Alex Rauther scored two goals in his team's 6-1 win at the Waterloo Black Hawks on Friday.
* Sioux Falls goalie Charlie Lindgren stopped all 18 shots he faced for his first USHL shutout in the Stampede's 5-0 win against Tri-City on Friday. Teammate Zeb Knutson scored twice in the win. He also had a goal and an assist Saturday in a 5-2 win against the Lincoln Stars.
* Youngstown Phantoms forward Sam Anas scored twice in his team's 5-2 loss to Green Bay on Saturday.
* Sioux Falls' Sam Rothstein had a pair of goals and an assist in Saturday's 5-2 win against Lincoln.
* Fargo's Brendan Harms had a goal and two assists in the Force's 5-4 win at Des Moines on Saturday.
* Dubuque right wing Alex Fossen had two goals and an assist in the Fighting Saints' 5-3 win against the Muskegon Lumberjacks on Saturday. Teammate Eric Freschi had a pair of assists.
* Youngstown center Luke Stork scored both his team's goals in a 3-2 loss to Green Bay on Sunday.
* Indiana left wing Drew Smolcynski scored twice in the Ice's 5-2 win against the Chicago Steel on Sunday. In a losing effort, Chicago's Christian Heil scored both of his team's goals.
Contact Adam Kimelman at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter: @NHLAdamK