Seth Jones is the top name among 2013 NHL Draft eligible players on the Portland Winterhawks, but it was his teammate, center Nicolas Petan, who stole the show over the weekend.
Petan, a 5-foot-8.5, 163-pound center rated as a C player to watch in NHL Central Scouting's preliminary rankings, had four goals and four assists in three games for Portland over the weekend as the Winterhawks went 2-1-0.
He opened his weekend with a goal and an assist in a 5-2 season-opening home loss to the Seattle Thunderbirds on Friday, then had a goal and three assists in Saturday's rematch in Seattle, and finished with a pair of goals in the Winterhawks' 4-2 win at the Tri-City Americans on Sunday.
In the Tri-City game, Jones, a defenseman regarded by some scouts as the best player available for this year's draft, picked up his first WHL point, assisting on Petan's second goal.
Petan wasn't the only top 2013 draft prospect to have a big weekend. Here's a recap of some of the best performances from Canadian Hockey League players:
* Moose Jaw's Andrew Johnson scored in overtime to lift the Warriors to a 4-3 win Friday against Swift Current.
* Riley Sheen had two goals and two assists in the two games against Portland. He scored twice in Friday's win, and had a pair of assists Saturday.
* Landon Cross had a goal and two assists to help the Kamloops Blazers to a 6-5 overtime win against the Kelowna Rockets on Friday.
* Zane Jones scored twice Saturday to help the Calgary Hitmen to a 5-1 win against the Kootenay Ice.
* Brandon Wheat Kings defenseman Ryan Pulock, an A skater in Central Scouting's rankings, had three assists in a 7-4 win at the Regina Pats on Saturday.
* Prince Albert defenseman Joshua Morrissey, another A-ranked skater, set up three goals in the Raiders' 5-2 win at the Saskatoon Blades on Saturday. Teammate Logan McVeigh scored twice for Prince Albert.
* Prince George Cougars goalie Brett Zarowney stopped all 25 shots he faced in a 6-0 at the Everett Silvertips on Saturday.
* Edmonton Oil Kings center Curtis Lazar, an A-rated skater, had a hat trick in a 6-2 home win against the Red Deer Rebels on Saturday.
* Dominik Kubalik scored twice Friday to help the Sudbury Wolves to a 4-2 home win against the Oshawa Generals on Friday.
* Guelph Storm center Jason Dickinson showed why he received an A rating from Central Scouting by scoring three times in two games over the weekend. He scored twice in a 4-3 defeat of the Saginaw Spirit on Saturday and had another goal in an 8-2 loss at the London Knights on Sunday.
* Michael Moffat had a goal and two assists to help the Kingston Frontenacs to a 3-1 home win against the Barrie Colts on Friday.
* Owen Sound's Cameron Brace had a goal and two assists to lead the Attack in a 5-2 win against Saginaw on Saturday.
* Belleville defenseman Jordan Subban, a C-rated skater, had two assists in the Bulls' 3-2 shootout defeat of the Plymouth Whalers on Saturday.
* Sudbury's Nathan Pancel scored twice to help the Wolves to a 4-1 defeat of the Brampton Battalion on Sunday.
* In London's 8-2 win at Guelph on Sunday, Knights A-rated center Max Domi had a pair of assists, and forward Matt Rupert had a pair of goals.
* Halifax Mooseheads left wing Jonathan Drouin had an impressive week, totaling seven points in two games. The A-rated left wing had a goal and an assist in a 4-3 win at Cape Breton on Friday, and a goal and four assists in an 8-1 win at PEI.
* Anthony Duclair, the Quebec Remparts' A-rated left wing, had a hat trick plus an assist in a 9-4 win against the Chicoutimi Sangueneens on Friday. Teammate Adam Erne, also an A-rated left wing, had a goal and an assist.
* Rimouski's Peter Trainor scored twice in the Oceanic's 5-1 win at the Sherbrooke Phoenix on Friday.
* Valentin Zykov, a C-rated left wing, had a goal and two assists in the Baie-Commeau Drakkar's 4-1 win against the Gatineau Olympiques on Friday
* Blainville-Boisbriand's Christopher Clapperton scored twice, including the game-winning goal, in the Armada's 5-3 win at the Rouyn-Noranda Huskies on Friday
* Rouyn-Noranda's Jean-Sebastien Dea had a strong weekend, totaling three goals and two assists in two games. He had a hat trick in Friday's loss to Blainville-Boisbriand, and assisted on both goals in the Huskies' 2-1 win against the Victoriaville Tigres on Saturday.
* Guillaume Cloutier had three assists to help Chicoutimi to a 6-0 home win against Gatineau on Saturday.
* Halifax's Nathan MacKinnon, another candidate to be the first pick of the 2013 NHL Draft, capped the weekend with two goals and two assists in the Mooseheads' 8-1 win at PEI on Sunday. Teammate Zachary Fucale, an A-rated goaltending prospect, stopped 20 of 21 shots.
Contact Adam Kimelman at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter: @NHLAdamK